Boofs last night

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Boofs last night

Post by Boonanza » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Well done Will some great fish there mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 pm

davek wrote:
Truedogz wrote:I am suffering severe leg cramps today - walked a bit on a very hot night. My shirt has been shredded from pushing through thickets of blackberries - in a bit of pain but happy :-D

Sinsemilla wrote: Do i see a couple trout cod there?

Cheers, Anth
Four trout cod, the rest Murray's. I heard some boofing going on in the faster water so threw the lure out and wound fast.

The third fish was a beauty. I got it laid flat on the mat and it measured 67-68. It moved for the pic. It was a very heavily built fish, took drag, I'd say 20 pounds, absolutely smashed the lure. Compare it to the last fish. The first black wrap on my rod is about 62 cm from the but, so that fish is about that length. Look at the difference in build.

I walked twenty yards downstream and got hit by a similar sized fish but the hooks let go after about ten seconds :( Another similar fish was on for a second or so, the lure probably stuck in its mouth and not hooked.

This was from an area I have not fished before. Technique and knowledge is the key and not so much location. First thing was the lure I selected, a black pompadour instead of my usual favourite. Why? First, I saw black cicadas floating down the bubble line during the day. Second, I chose black due to lighting - a dark night with cloud cover. This gives a grey background highlighting the black silhouette. Later in the night I changed to a light coloured version. Why? The sky cleared and the moon came up. Under these conditions many fish retreat to the shadows under trees - and that's where I caught them, close to the bank. In fact, the last fish grabbed the lure as I lifted it out of the water :super:

There's a few tips to help others. It's just like trout fishing, 'match the hatch' and adjust the strategy to the conditions.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Actually contributing to others on this forum! Love your work Truedogz

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Nice work there Will :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 am

Top stuff Will
You coming on the cod trip this year, or will you be sick of cod by then ???
Maybe join CC for a change of species
Gra

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 am

Texas wrote:Top stuff Will
You coming on the cod trip this year, or will you be sick of cod by then ???
Maybe join CC for a change of species
Gra
I don't think that Will is sick of cod Gra,
2018-02-10 20.26.11.jpg
Cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:57 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
davek wrote:
Truedogz wrote:I am suffering severe leg cramps today - walked a bit on a very hot night. My shirt has been shredded from pushing through thickets of blackberries - in a bit of pain but happy :-D

Sinsemilla wrote: Do i see a couple trout cod there?

Cheers, Anth
Four trout cod, the rest Murray's. I heard some boofing going on in the faster water so threw the lure out and wound fast.

The third fish was a beauty. I got it laid flat on the mat and it measured 67-68. It moved for the pic. It was a very heavily built fish, took drag, I'd say 20 pounds, absolutely smashed the lure. Compare it to the last fish. The first black wrap on my rod is about 62 cm from the but, so that fish is about that length. Look at the difference in build.

I walked twenty yards downstream and got hit by a similar sized fish but the hooks let go after about ten seconds :( Another similar fish was on for a second or so, the lure probably stuck in its mouth and not hooked.

This was from an area I have not fished before. Technique and knowledge is the key and not so much location. First thing was the lure I selected, a black pompadour instead of my usual favourite. Why? First, I saw black cicadas floating down the bubble line during the day. Second, I chose black due to lighting - a dark night with cloud cover. This gives a grey background highlighting the black silhouette. Later in the night I changed to a light coloured version. Why? The sky cleared and the moon came up. Under these conditions many fish retreat to the shadows under trees - and that's where I caught them, close to the bank. In fact, the last fish grabbed the lure as I lifted it out of the water :super:

There's a few tips to help others. It's just like trout fishing, 'match the hatch' and adjust the strategy to the conditions.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Actually contributing to others on this forum! Love your work Truedogz
Great tips there imagine like bass accuracy with casts would help a lot.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

rb85 wrote: like bass accuracy with casts would help a lot.
In the daytime/twilight yes, on a dark night no. On dark nights the cod, just like the trout and bass, roam through the pools. If the moon is out they tend to hang around near the shadows so accuracy comes into play again.
Texas wrote:You coming on the cod trip this year, or will you be sick of cod by then ???
Graham, I enjoy catching all of my fish, I had a lot of fun a week ago pulling blackies out from under snags in a small creek. I won't be joining cc as about the only fish I get sick of catching are carp! I don't mind the odd one, and will sight fish for them sometimes, but I don't want them when I am chasing others.

I hope to come on the cod trip, but that depends on work. Until last week I was typically working Thurs-Sat which was great giving me 4 days off to go away and fish. Without even telling me it was coming my employer stopped my roster :( For another mob I am on call through the week. So at the moment I actually don't have any work. If I am not working that weekend I'll get there.

If I had to rate the top freshwater fishing experiences in this state I'd come up with this list:

1. good size (>2 kg) trout cod on a surface lure (As noisy as a Murray cod and match bass in the fight);
2. good size (>50 cm) Murray cod on a surface lure;
3. bass on a surface lure (bass fight much better the Murray cod for their size, but cod win due to the noise of the hit!);
4. Macquarie perch on a fly (powerful fighters, and on flies are a challenge);
5. Trout on a dry fly/surface lures (good fighters, caught plenty on dry flies in the day and surface lures at night).

This is my favourite clip on catching cod. Ray Clifford is a top bloke; I knew his grandfather who was a pro fisherman and a real character. I love this clip because the sound effects are exactly what you hear out on the water. The take of 50 cm cod can sound like a house brick hitting the water. I also laugh at the little dog, hoping he won't fall in!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hohLkD0vDU

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 am

How good was the last boof Truedogz! You could see him just hanging under the lure! Cheers for the vid

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 pm

great effort mate, im only just starting to fish with surface lures for bream, can only imagine what these monsters would be like
thanks for sharing

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”