Re: Boofs last night

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am

Great pics.
Nice work :thumbsup:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:05 am

Must have been a great night. I just noticed your location one of my favourite wineries lucky you.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Nice work Truedogz! Do i see a couple trout cod there?

Cheers, Anth

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Great fish

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Must have been an evening to remember with a lot of "boofs" - interesting that the Trout Cod in the fourth pic is quite a bit slimmer than the Murray Cod.

Paul

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Good work, you got a few, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:38 pm

must be the best fun to have with your pants on in the dark!
quid est quod eum

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I am suffering severe leg cramps today - walked a bit on a very hot night. My shirt has been shredded from pushing through thickets of blackberries - in a bit of pain but happy :-D

Sinsemilla wrote: Do i see a couple trout cod there?

Cheers, Anth
Four trout cod, the rest Murray's. I heard some boofing going on in the faster water so threw the lure out and wound fast.

The third fish was a beauty. I got it laid flat on the mat and it measured 67-68. It moved for the pic. It was a very heavily built fish, took drag, I'd say 20 pounds, absolutely smashed the lure. Compare it to the last fish. The first black wrap on my rod is about 62 cm from the but, so that fish is about that length. Look at the difference in build.

I walked twenty yards downstream and got hit by a similar sized fish but the hooks let go after about ten seconds :( Another similar fish was on for a second or so, the lure probably stuck in its mouth and not hooked.

This was from an area I have not fished before. Technique and knowledge is the key and not so much location. First thing was the lure I selected, a black pompadour instead of my usual favourite. Why? First, I saw black cicadas floating down the bubble line during the day. Second, I chose black due to lighting - a dark night with cloud cover. This gives a grey background highlighting the black silhouette. Later in the night I changed to a light coloured version. Why? The sky cleared and the moon came up. Under these conditions many fish retreat to the shadows under trees - and that's where I caught them, close to the bank. In fact, the last fish grabbed the lure as I lifted it out of the water :super:

There's a few tips to help others. It's just like trout fishing, 'match the hatch' and adjust the strategy to the conditions.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Truedogz wrote:I am suffering severe leg cramps today - walked a bit on a very hot night. My shirt has been shredded from pushing through thickets of blackberries - in a bit of pain but happy :-D

Sinsemilla wrote: Do i see a couple trout cod there?

Cheers, Anth
Four trout cod, the rest Murray's. I heard some boofing going on in the faster water so threw the lure out and wound fast.

The third fish was a beauty. I got it laid flat on the mat and it measured 67-68. It moved for the pic. It was a very heavily built fish, took drag, I'd say 20 pounds, absolutely smashed the lure. Compare it to the last fish. The first black wrap on my rod is about 62 cm from the but, so that fish is about that length. Look at the difference in build.

I walked twenty yards downstream and got hit by a similar sized fish but the hooks let go after about ten seconds :( Another similar fish was on for a second or so, the lure probably stuck in its mouth and not hooked.

This was from an area I have not fished before. Technique and knowledge is the key and not so much location. First thing was the lure I selected, a black pompadour instead of my usual favourite. Why? First, I saw black cicadas floating down the bubble line during the day. Second, I chose black due to lighting - a dark night with cloud cover. This gives a grey background highlighting the black silhouette. Later in the night I changed to a light coloured version. Why? The sky cleared and the moon came up. Under these conditions many fish retreat to the shadows under trees - and that's where I caught them, close to the bank. In fact, the last fish grabbed the lure as I lifted it out of the water :super:

There's a few tips to help others. It's just like trout fishing, 'match the hatch' and adjust the strategy to the conditions.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”