Nagambie Boof

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Nagambie Boof

Post by Truedogz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I've gone out the last two evenings trying some local backwaters to catch old bucket mouth on surface lures. I fished for an hour on dusk last night without a sniff.

A tried a different area tonight for a few hours. I took this pic of one snag pile I fished in the afterglow of dim twilight - great cod habitat:
backwater.jpg
I got one boof at that spot, a nice fish of about 60 cm:
60 cm cod.jpg
No other interest from the fish but a great way to spend a few hours near home getting a bit of exercise. You don't have to travel far from Melbourne to catch a cod off the top. In fact, you should be able to catch them in the Yarra on surface lures if you are prepared to put the time into it

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 50 times

Re: Nagambie Boof

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 pm

To get a decent cod out of that pile of snags was quite an achievement. :cheers:

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm

good stuff

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 am

Nice report and pics :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am

Nice. I just bought my first halfway decent baitcaster and will head up north to see if I can get a few boofs at Nagambie Lake.

Is there a particular depth they like? I know from previous trip the lakes have wide expanses of 1-1.5m deep lagoons that are full of drowned trees, is that the sort of area you'd find cod or do they prefer it a bit deeper?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 am

Nice cod Will, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:44 am

4liters wrote:Is there a particular depth they like? I know from previous trip the lakes have wide expanses of 1-1.5m deep lagoons that are full of drowned trees, is that the sort of area you'd find cod or do they prefer it a bit deeper?
You don't hear of many cod taken in the Goulburn Weir on surface lures. It is a developing fishery and most people use bait or hard body lures. The lake has nowhere near the density of cod that the rivers north of it contain, and not the numbers present in Mulwala. It is also best fished from a tinny as bank access can be difficult but cod (and yellas) can be caught off the bank. In fact they have been caught off the boardwalk in the middle of Nagambie. :rofl:

In general it is easier to catch cod off the top in rivers than lakes as the fish are more concentrated. Also river habitats tend to be shallower.

I know of one or two people who have caught cod off the top in the weir, from boats. They target snag piles and logs usually near the bank. A dozen flicks at a location and they move on. My tiny is out of action but being close to home I've got nothing to lose having a crack from the bank which I have done and had success. In general the best surface fishing is in water that is 2 metres deep or less but they will also come up from deeper water too. The best habitat to get a cod off the top is a river but as I have demonstrated you can do it in the Goulburn Weir - particularly if you have a boat.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 am

Well done mate
Great fish

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 am

Truedogz wrote:
4liters wrote:Is there a particular depth they like? I know from previous trip the lakes have wide expanses of 1-1.5m deep lagoons that are full of drowned trees, is that the sort of area you'd find cod or do they prefer it a bit deeper?
You don't hear of many cod taken in the Goulburn Weir on surface lures. It is a developing fishery and most people use bait or hard body lures. The lake has nowhere near the density of cod that the rivers north of it contain, and not the numbers present in Mulwala. It is also best fished from a tinny as bank access can be difficult but cod (and yellas) can be caught off the bank. In fact they have been caught off the boardwalk in the middle of Nagambie. :rofl:

In general it is easier to catch cod off the top in rivers than lakes as the fish are more concentrated. Also river habitats tend to be shallower.

I know of one or two people who have caught cod off the top in the weir, from boats. They target snag piles and logs usually near the bank. A dozen flicks at a location and they move on. My tiny is out of action but being close to home I've got nothing to lose having a crack from the bank which I have done and had success. In general the best surface fishing is in water that is 2 metres deep or less but they will also come up from deeper water too. The best habitat to get a cod off the top is a river but as I have demonstrated you can do it in the Goulburn Weir - particularly if you have a boat.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thanks for the info, I might check out a river instead. I’ll probably take the yak which should give me pretty good access once I find a spot to put it in.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm

4liters wrote:
Truedogz wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thanks for the info, I might check out a river instead. I’ll probably take the yak which should give me pretty good access once I find a spot to put itin.
Can help with that when the time comes, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”