Murchison

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Murchison

Post by Truedogz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm

I was going to try out the new rod in one of the backwaters of the Goulburn Weir tonight. When I got there it was blowing a gale with just about white caps on the lake - no good for surface fishing!

I headed down to the Goulburn towards Murchison as plan B. I wasn't expecting much with the cold change coming through but at least the surface wasn't as choppy as the lake. I spoke to a few people in camps who weren't doing too good, catching mainly small trouties and silver perch. The river is high and cold again with a release from Eildon. I was surprised catching 4 cod off the top, every boof hooked up. The best fish was about 60 cm:
45 cm.jpg
60 cm.jpg
nice trouty.jpg
small trouty.jpg
Tonight I cracked the magic 50 cod on surface lures for the season. I've had an absolute ball.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Murchison

Post by Lightningx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Sounds like you had a top night.
Nice pics and congrats on cracking the 50 :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 am

Well done Will, you're killing it, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 am

You're on fire Truedogz, congratulations on cracking the 50 cod on surface lures too.. :super:

great job and well deserved for the time & effort you put into it.. :victory:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:25 am

Nice nice as always Will :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Mate your sure living the life alright! Good on ya.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Well done great effort

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:03 pm

You are really doing well there Will - soon you will be challenging Adrian! Its good to see that you and others have been getting quite a few Trout Cod. Do you think these are mainly stocked fish or there is a fair bit of natural breeding going on now?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Congratulations Truedogz. What are you aiming for next now you've got your 50? 50 over 50 i hope! ;)

Cheers, Anth

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Paulanderson wrote: Its good to see that you and others have been getting quite a few Trout Cod. Do you think these are mainly stocked fish or there is a fair bit of natural breeding going on now?
Paul there haven't been mass stockings of trout cod into any Victorian rivers for quite a number of years. Its a decade since the Ovens was stocked and much longer for the Goulburn downstream of the weir. The fish being caught are natural recruits. In the Murray River they are overpopulating to the point where the fish are stunting. The only sizeable stockings are happening in NSW in the upper Macquarie near Bathurst. There are big self recruiting populations in the central Murray, central Murrumbidgee, lower Goulburn and Ovens Rivers with lesser populations in the upper Murray and middle Macquarie rivers, as well as the Seven Creeks, Bendora Dam and Cataract Dam. There are more trout cod around than there have been for at least 70 years but they remain 'critically endangered' so that the powers that be can maintain control and roll out their agenda.
Sinsemilla wrote:What are you aiming for next now you've got your 50? 50 over 50 i hope!
Anthony, I just enjoy catching them and 90% of the time target them exclusively with surface lures. I've caught big cod in the past and now want to catch some better ones off the top. The challenge now is to learn enough about catching them here in the Goulburn Weir that it becomes a reliable method. Also the other big challenge is getting them off the top in Eildon - not many have done that.

The Goulburn Weir will never become as good a cod fishery as Mulwala. :( Its just too cool and made worse by 'environmental' releases from the bottom of Eildon in summer which chills the lake and really depresses the fish activity. :down:

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”