Eildon Fishing Festival

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Eildon Fishing Festival

Post by samjas1316 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Had a great day at the Pond today, thanks to Victorian Fisheries...

Took my Dad and two boys up to Eildon Pondage to see if we could connect with some of the recently released ex-brood stock for the Eildon Fishing Festival. We arrived just before 9 am and over to Burke St we went and it really did look like Burke St as there were all ready a heap of cars so it didn't look good as far as getting a spot. Anyway my Dad wanted to set up there so we left him there and I took the boys over by the bridge.

I put the bait rods out for Jasper and I then had a flick with the tassie devil. It was a quiet 20 or so minutes with the odd small bites until Sam on the fly rod had a hit and he was into a decent fish. I grab the net and camera and Jasper and I make our way over but as we get to Sam all of a sudden anguish on his face. Busted off. His four pound leader gave way and an estimated 8 pounder gained its freedom along with Sam's only Woolybugger. He ties on a new fly and up his leader until I offer to take him into the tackle shop and get another Wollybugger. After re-stocking and hearing from my Dad that there was now some room over by Burke St as well as some fish being caught I decide to head over there but leave Sam at the bridge to see if he can get on to another fish.

The bait rods go out again, this time at Burke Street and it didn't take long before Jasper and I get some action. First a 34 cm landed by Jasper then while I was netting his fish a much bigger one takes the other bait rod.
eildon 1.JPG
We get some more bites and Jasper catches another small rainbow which is released. After about an hour I leave Jasper with my Dad and I go and get Sam. He doesn't have any success and we head back to Burke St. After I park and as I get up on the wall I see my Dad with Jasper and another big trout. My Dad tells me that Jasper hooks and lands the fish all by himself and Fisheries comes over and takes photos for their social media.
eildon 2.JPG
The baits go out again and we get a few more bites but nothing connects until another decent fish hits and this time it's my turn but unlike my 8 year old I pull the hook and lose the fish. We get a few more bites until Jasper's rod gets a hit and he is on to it.
eildon 3.JPG
He lands the biggest one of the day and to top it all off as I'm getting the hook out with a bit of a crowd looking on, along comes Rex Hunt. We chat a while and some photos are taken. I thank him for his tv series all those years ago.
eildon 4.JPG
A great early Father's Day and Jasper was very happy and unfortunately Sam and my Dad could only manage donuts. Thanks again to Victorian Fisheries.
Attachments
eildon 5.JPG

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Eildon Fishing Festival

Post by matari » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 pm

nice job mate! not many people can say they have caught a trout that big at that age. wish i could've went to one of those festivals but live all the way down in rosebud. Cheers Matari

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Sounds like you guys had a great day there today!
I wanted to go there with the missus but unfortunately something else came up and couldn’t make it.
Those trout are an impressive size that’s for sure! Really nice work.
Great report and pics :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 am

Sounds like a great day out. Well done on the fish. Looks like the kids loved it.

Fisheries have done a big job in pumping up trout opening in the area with the release of ex broodstock.

Biggest trout opening ever was the line on social media.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:30 am

A good report with some great fish, love that a family fishing day went so well ,cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 am

Wow them trout are gigantic! Good stuff mate

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:55 am

Holy crap there big.
Well done

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:49 pm

cracking trout well done

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Great report and photos, Mate
3 generations enjoying the day together, nothing better
And descent fish, what more could you ask for, maybe a celebrity fisherman ??
Damn, you got that as well
Definately a day to remember (& you don't need to exaggerate the size of the fish)
Cheers Gra
P.s. What bait ???

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Awesome fish mate, well done.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”