A report about...nothing!

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: A report about...nothing!

Post by Texas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Great report & photos Jim
What are you using in the shrimp/yabby nets ??
Oldies used Lux soap (laundry one), something to do with animal fats
Cheers Gra

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 pm

April Fool wrote:I went out Friday evening for a session. The plan was to get a yella on this!
Lure 60.jpg
This part of the plan did not suceed!!!! The lure chucking was also going to give me time to allow some shrimp or yabbies to accumulate in my bait trap. This was also a dismal failure! I am not sure what is happening this year but my bait collecting attempts have varied greatly wih most times being a dismall failure!!! I made the same mistake as the previous trip...went confident of getting bait and failed. The few small shrimp I did get on Friday were sent out to do their job but apart from a couple decent bites it was a failure.

There has been a noticable abundance of very small 'bites' of late...perhaps from small redfin. I generally don't bother downsizing to chase the little critters but if they continue, my curiousity may get the better of me!
cheers
Team Bender
Thinking about creating a fishing show about nothing!
nice report jim good looking lure i also sometimes catch zip on lures but when you do fool them it,s very rewarding

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm

The fishless trips don't worry me dazz! Often near the end of these sessions I am thinking ahead for my next foray! Gra, at the moment I use wet cat food in the shrimp nets with gum leaves or wattle leaves by mistake (done it once) as was pointed out to me the other day! Normally this works but has failed of late. When bait is plentiful, I use dry cat food. Next time I go out and have difficulties, if I get a carp it will find its way into the trap.
Cheers
Jim

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Yesterday I spent about 7 hours on a channel for no fish! The target species was yellas and the main method was bait fishing with yabbies and the occasional lure flick. As far as I know, I did not not get a bite but the wind made it very difficult. This time I was prepared and had enough bait but still put a bait trap in. This failed to produce a yabby or shrimp.

Yabby captures in my traps in my usual channel also dwindled this week despite rising temperatures. The lack of bait has suprised me this year and I don't know what the reason is. The location I fished yesterday is a heavily fished spot but despite this it has produced a yella for me on the previous 2 visits and I was confident of doing ok despite the wind. I have also seen good reports of great yellas being caught locally.

At the end of the day I was left a bit baffled. I can handle a fishless day...but just can't fathom what the f%^k is going on here! So what do I do? I am already planning my next trip to a different location in better conditions and the bait traps are going back in to the usual spot.
Cheers
Team Bender
Not the 'Ghost of the channels'.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Have you been out to spot "X" lately Jim?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Not the 'Ghost of the channels'.

There's a Ghost of the channels, :o_0: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:59 am

Boonanza wrote:Have you been out to spot "X" lately Jim?
No...it may be 3 or more years since I have been there. A combination of having to negotiate a fence/gate and then a few hundred metre walk. I think I could still physically get over the fence but laziness has set in as my physical capabilities dwindle. Also, and the following has been just as much influence, a local tackle store has named the exact spot in their fishing reports over the last couple years and the place has been flogged! I think Dangerous Dave from Nagas has tried it a few times without much luck...he will likely have the latest on the place.
cheers
Team Bender
Want advice on how to catch f*** all...I am your man!

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:43 am

Well being Halloween this week Jim I reckon you need to have another go at it, but dress up in a Halloween fishing costume (as per photo) & use the special Halloween killer lures..
But it must be on Wednesday.... :o_0:

**PS: Great report & pics too.. :thumbsup:
Fish-Costume.jpg
Halloween lure.jpg
lures Pain.jpg
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 pm

Lol nice Halloween lures and costume.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 pm

So....that was fun! A few hours spent after dark on a local channel provided my mate with a small cod and me wth nothing. Bait used was small yabbies and we finally started getting shrimp unlike my last few outings.

I tried something I had been meaning to do for a while. That was to set up a light alongside the water in the hope of attracting moths that may fall into the water. Then this would bring in the small fish which would attract the bigger fish. Yeah...nah! It did attract the moths which were ‘dive bombing’ down the light beam towards the torch. The only predators it attracted were fkn bats! I will try this idea again.
Cheers
Team Bender
What is the minimum size for bats?

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”