Salmon around Shep/Nagambie

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Salmon around Shep/Nagambie

Post by Boonanza » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:35 pm

According to the latest fishing report from Trellys Salmon are being caught in the channels around shepparton and Nagambie I wonder if they are Atlantic or Australian Salmon :rofl:
https://www.trellys.com.au/blogs/fishin ... g-report-1
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Salmon around Shep/Nagambie

Post by Texas » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:42 pm

There're Atlantic, the koalas are in the canals catching them as they try to go upstream

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Boonanza wrote:According to the latest fishing report from Trellys Salmon are being caught in the channels around shepparton and Nagambie I wonder if they are Atlantic or Australian Salmon :rofl:
Don't believe everything you read Boony, I think there is an excess of lures for sale up Shepp way, lol, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Texas wrote:There're Atlantic, the koalas are in the canals catching them as they try to go upstream
Not koalas, BUNYIPS!!!! cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 pm

davek wrote:
Boonanza wrote:According to the latest fishing report from Trellys Salmon are being caught in the channels around shepparton and Nagambie I wonder if they are Atlantic or Australian Salmon :rofl:
Don't believe everything you read Boony, I think there is an excess of lures for sale up Shepp way, lol, cheers davo
This has bloody miffy & sparkles written all over it ;-)
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Boonanza wrote:
davek wrote:
This has bloody miffy & sparkles written all over it ;-)
YES, he's catching so many fish lately

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I have fished the 'Cattanach', or the 'cat' as we refer to it for around 30 years. It was my favourite spot until a few years ago for Brown trout. Another guy I met there has fished it for about 50 years I believe. We both believe it has seen better days. There have been reliable reports occasionally of Atlantic salmon captures which have been confirmed by fisheries. I may have even caught a couple many years ago and not known the difference but the odd 'trout' I caught certainly put on a different show from others.

So where do the salmon come from? Easy, escapees from fish farms upstream. A trout captured in an illegal net in Waranga Basin was a tagged fish that had been released in Eildon! Also worth noting is the majority of 'browns' that come out of the basin are silver in colour. So...word gets out about the salmon (maybe a couple a year...who knows), people catch silver coloured browns and think they have caught a salmon because they are morons! Morons then tell everyone and it gets picked up by tackle stores who then publicise it, possibly with other motives.
Cheers
Team Bender
Keeping it real...now you have to excuse me as I have to do some research on how to catch salmon!

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:44 pm

When I was a teenage (back int he 1800's ha) I saw a few salmon get taken on tassie devils out of one of the local channels in my area. Don't know if there are any still there or not but yep there use to be some there.
Cheers
Jed

Lopili

Post by Lopili » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am

Yep, we were catching Atlantic salmon in the Cattanach channel many moons ago. You'd wait on the Mountain bike at dusk, ride like the clappers to any rising fish, cast a fly to it once you determined it's beat. Mostly trout, but on rare occasions a salmon would come out. The salmon where verified by the Department of Constant Name Review at the time.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”