Lakes at Parkside Drive Shepparton- Any Fish?

Watp

Lakes at Parkside Drive Shepparton- Any Fish?

Post by Watp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:17 am

Just wondering if anyone has fished or know of any fish being in the lakes off parkside drive in the reserve? Just happened to be driving past and it looked pretty coloured up.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Lakes at Parkside Drive Shepparton- Any Fish?

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 am

I live in Shepparton but have never tried the lakes. On saying that, I never hear much about fish being caught there. A long time ago there were redfin in there but I am not so sure now. If you live local, it would be worth trying. If you have a fair distance to travel, it may not be worth it unless you come here for other reasons. Sorry but I am not much help. I hope someone may have practical experience with the lakes and may be able to help you.
cheers
Jim

Watp

Post by Watp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 am

I thought about stopping but continued on to the Goulburn instead. I spend a fair bit of time around the area due to family being here so always keen to try a few places each time i visit. Speaking of that are any of the channels around town worth ago? I had a quick look at the the backwater stretch behind the sporting fields near Fryer Street and that looked alright.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am

The channels are worth a try. I am not sure which way you enter town from but if coming from the north, there is a channel near the intersection of the GV Highway and the Barmah-Shepparton Road. I haven't tried this but I have heard good things about it. If you look at it on google maps, you will see a small bit of 'white water'. This indicates a regulator. Bridges are obvious so all you need to do is check out channels for bridges or regs then go for a drive and check out access. If you enter Shepp via the south, then you can find the same channel system from Nagambie onwards.

There is minimum structure in the channels. Therefore bridges and regs are an obvious place to start. Even a bend in the channel will provide a good spot to try...it may not be noticable but there may be eddies present which the fish will locate themselves in. On google maps you will see lots of channels have tracks alongside them...these are generally locked so don't think you will be able to drive along them. Some spur channels that flow off the 'main' run for a fair distance. Some do not go that far. The shorter ones can often be dirty whilst the longer ones will remain clean due to the amount of water going through...provided we haven't had 500 mm of rain!!!!!!
cheers
Jim

Watp

Post by Watp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks Jim for the really detailed post. Google maps has been my go to so far and have found a few areas, also some great areas which are alas private property. I stay in Mooroopna so I have been gradually exploring from that area towards Shepp. A local who was walking his dog where I was fishing told me to head up to Nurmurkah and fish the Broken Creek in town as it has plenty of good access. etc. Appreciate the tips and I will check it out later this week as I am back up for another 4 days on Thursday.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:56 am

Watp wrote:................ A local who was walking his dog where I was fishing told me to head up to Nurmurkah and fish the Broken Creek in town as it has plenty of good access. etc. ......
I have fished it before. Rumour has it there are 1 metre carp lurking in there! I have caught a few and they generally tend to be bigger! One 'monster' I did see one day may have been pushing 90 cm's! Did the guy mention to you what sort of fish to target there?

And if you head that way and want to have a carp bash in a pleasant environment...check out the Nine Mile Creek just short of Numurkah. Not a bad spot for yabbies either and it is a place (along with Numurkah) where my 'go to' carp bait is yabbies!
cheers
Jim
Last edited by April Fool on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watp

Post by Watp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 pm

He mentioned carp but also said that fisheries had been placing new snags in areas of the creek to encourage yellowbelly and cod, that really grabbed my interest!

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”