Murray boofs

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Murray boofs

Post by Truedogz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:17 pm

I slipped up to the Murray for an overnighter, roughly in the area where FV has its cod trip.

The river is running very high, with some access tracks under water. Being so high it runs fast even close to the bank and it is difficult to fish, particularly with surface lures:
high river.jpg
One trick I use is to work the lure upstream alongside the bank, against the flow. In most cases it was too fast flowing to work the lure downstream as you would do when fishing for trout. By working the lure upstream you can work it slowly, pausing it now and then and let it drifting in near undercut banks. In this way you can probe for cod lying in unseen protected areas.

Last night I managed one small cod:
35 cm cod.jpg
This morning I picked up a great fish of about 70 cm that absolutely smashed the lure sending water everywhere:
70 cm cod.jpg
The fishing was hard work but the second fish made it worth it. Last season I took over 70 cod on surface lures but only half a dozen were 70 cm or better.

Its hard to top surface fishing for cod and it is rare not to get one even under tough conditions. Until the Murray drops I'll stick with the Goulburn.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Murray boofs

Post by April Fool » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Great report as usual!
Truedogz wrote:.................................. Until the Murray drops I'll stick with the Goulburn.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I think you will be fishing the Goulburn for a while! I dare say it would have been irrigation water rather than environmental flow that you were dealing with. Current demand from almond orchards around Mildura requires sh!tloads of water and if it wasn't for flow restrictions at the Barmah choke, they would likely take more if they could get their hands on it! My mate is an agronomist for Olam, a mega corporation which owns many almond orchards. He deals with the irrigation and he told me once how many megs of water they use and it was a very large figure. He is coming to visit me this weekend...I think I will have to rough him up a bit the water thieving pr!ck! But then again, no doubt a lot of water is used by other types of agriculture (citrus, stone fruit, I have no idea what is downstream from the centre of the universe(Shepp)).
Cheers
Team Bender
Still p!ssed off that fisheries have not asked me to do a presentation on donut fishing at the Codference!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Truedogz wrote:I slipped up to the Murray for an overnighter, roughly in the area where FV has its cod trip.

The river is running very high, with some access tracks under water. Being so high it runs fast even close to the bank and it is difficult to fish, particularly with surface lures:
high river.jpg
One trick I use is to work the lure upstream alongside the bank, against the flow. In most cases it was too fast flowing to work the lure downstream as you would do when fishing for trout. By working the lure upstream you can work it slowly, pausing it now and then and let it drifting in near undercut banks. In this way you can probe for cod lying in unseen protected areas.

Last night I managed one small cod:
35 cm cod.jpg
This morning I picked up a great fish of about 70 cm that absolutely smashed the lure sending water everywhere:
70 cm cod.jpg
The fishing was hard work but the second fish made it worth it. Last season I took over 70 cod on surface lures but only half a dozen were 70 cm or better.

Its hard to top surface fishing for cod and it is rare not to get one even under tough conditions. Until the Murray drops I'll stick with the Goulburn.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Another nice fish Will, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:46 pm

April Fool wrote:Great report as usual!
Truedogz wrote:.................................. Until the Murray drops I'll stick with the Goulburn.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I think you will be fishing the Goulburn for a while! I dare say it would have been irrigation water rather than environmental flow that you were dealing with. Current demand from almond orchards around Mildura requires sh!tloads of water and if it wasn't for flow restrictions at the Barmah choke, they would likely take more if they could get their hands on it! My mate is an agronomist for Olam, a mega corporation which owns many almond orchards. He deals with the irrigation and he told me once how many megs of water they use and it was a very large figure. He is coming to visit me this weekend...I think I will have to rough him up a bit the water thieving pr!ck! But then again, no doubt a lot of water is used by other types of agriculture (citrus, stone fruit, I have no idea what is downstream from the centre of the universe(Shepp)).
Cheers
Team Bender
Still p!ssed off that fisheries have not asked me to do a presentation on donut fishing at the Codference!

I'm amazed they didn't, they probably wouldn't get a better presenter, :-D cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Nice work Will!

Haven't got into the bigger fish yet but I have had around 15 surface boofs so far this season, hook up rate has been less impressive though
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Nice report and pics :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Well done Truedogz

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Great work for the Murray. I find it really hard to fish in the Murray current, especially trying to get the lures deep enough without getting snagged.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”