Lower Goulburn River National Park

Ploh

Lower Goulburn River National Park

Post by Ploh » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Been a while since I posted on here.
Recently relocated and now have the Murray and Goulburn River on my doorsteps (not literally). But they're a small drive away.
I'm very new to this area and fishing the rivers here. But I started with basics and used a paternoster rig and put some scrub worms on.
Within 30 seconds of casting I caught a small carp which went into the bait trap net (alongside a can of cat food) for some fresh water prawns.
The next 4 hours was filled with bites and taps but nothing else hooked on.
I was using a size 1 bait keeper hook.

Any tips or suggestions for the next trip? I'm targeting anything. Carp, yellas, cod, anything.

Cheers guys!

Ekaz3556

Re: Lower Goulburn River National Park

Post by Ekaz3556 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am

My first suggestion would be make sure you have a NSW licence mate, many don’t realise that the Murray is not Victorian waterway. Better safe than sorry

Fishomicko

Post by Fishomicko » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 am

I usually just use a ball sinker running straight to the hook just because it's simple and there's less chance of getting snagged some people do use a pasnoster rigs and they do catch fish what ever works for you i guess

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Fishomicko wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 am
I usually just use a ball sinker running straight to the hook just because it's simple and there's less chance of getting snagged some people do use a pasnoster rigs and they do catch fish what ever works for you i guess
I'm no expert in cod yella fishing but yeah, i use running ball sinker straight to the hook. Circle hook 4/0 for jaw hooking, easy to take the hook off.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Ploh wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:20 pm
.........................................................................................................
Any tips or suggestions for the next trip? I'm targeting anything. Carp, yellas, cod, anything.

Cheers guys!
Just persevere! And take on board what the others said! I have often used the paternoster rig, even in snagless water thinking my bait would be presented better. Dave will be fishing alongside with his running sinker (to the hook) and do better than me.

Some of your bites may have been from Silver perch which are protected. These can be annoying at times. Using a larger bait like a large yabbie may solve the problem. Circle hooks have been mentioned and I use wide gape circles. I think you can fit more shrimp on a wide gape but make sure you keep the barb clear. Hook size will vary depending on bait.

You may want to consider trying lures as well, including surface lures. There are some good threads on this forum.
Cheers
Jim

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”