My first ever trout was a miss

Salmon

My first ever trout was a miss

Post by Salmon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Helloooooo
Well now, I've been fishing well over 15 years and not once have I ventured to go and catch my dream fish, a trout, mainly, a rainbow trout.
I've been a salty all my life and never had the right gear and locations for a fresh water man, but this weekend I finally did.
So I went to this spot I found, just by driving past, lovely little spot. Started throwing a lure around until I found this hole about 15x4 just under a fast moving stream, I chucked in my lure and bang, a brownie hit it.
It happens so quick, I had the fish to the surface, I could feel it in my hand and plop, the hooks slipped. I managed to get a glimpse, it was about 40cm, a very nice size.
My first ever, I was sad yet happy at the same time that its true, you can catch fish in freshwater!
I continued the spot for about an hour, and the surroundings, but nothing. They must've spooked.
So I left for another day.
That's what I did this weekend. :)
Thanks for reading my venture. More to come

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: My first ever trout was a miss

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:13 am

A similar thing happened to me while i was camping up near Jamison over the summer.

There were a lot of people about so it was sometimes a bit hard going, i had been flicking lures (metal spinners) around for two days without any luck. On the third day i went again but switched to a bright pink minnow lure that i would normally use for bream and on about the 10th cast it got hit by a small trout which jumped and threw the hook. Just after that a group of kids came down the river on boogie boards so i gave up again and we went home later that day. So close...

Also when i was a kid i was fishing with my cousins up at Mount Beauty. We were drifting live grasshoppers down a small stream. I handed my rod to my cousin for a minute so i could take a leak behind a tree and he caught a trout on my rod!
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 am

Bad luck with the trout Salmon! There will be plenty more. I think you have done well in this heat just to get the attention of a trout!
SteveoTheTiger wrote:On the third day i went again but switched to a bright pink minnow lure that i would normally use for bream and on about the 10th cast it got hit by a small trout which jumped and threw the hook.
Pink is a very good color for trout. I have caught 'browns' on it although I'm not sure if it will work all year round. When I'm serious trout fishing I often change the trebles on lures to singles. I have even started cutting one point off from trebles and turning them into 'W' hooks. Have done this with spinners a s well. From memory I have hooked trout on these adjusted 'W' hooks and they have worked. I find the trout have a good chance of dislodging trebles. When I have a decent trout on a 'single' I have a lot more confidence. When adjusting hooks on minnow lures you do need to check that you do not affect its swimming capability.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Salmon

Post by Salmon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 am

Cool story stevo.
I'm surprised too RB, it's really warm for trout. Even the water I was in was quite warm, could easily sit in it for a while.
I will return once its cooler.
I also think I should change to single hook especially if I'm releasing, trebles are harder to dislodge.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

when i was in warburton i decided to flick a tassie devil for a trout (never caught a trout on a lure) and the first cast a little brownie started chasig it and trying to hit it but it never did grab it, after that there was nothing. i was gutted!
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

chopzor

Post by chopzor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:18 pm

My mate ripped a monster brown trout at murrindindi on a red spinner. I was with him and got nothing :(

Steff

Post by Steff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Ahhh murrindindi.. Strait from the farm!
So i went fishing on her birthday, .. Hey! She'll have another one!

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”