What does 'Murray Cod' mean to you?

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Pirana

Re: What does 'Murray Cod' mean to you?

Post by Pirana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Truedogz wrote:
deathray wrote: I think of Rod Harrison
Everybody that chases cod today owe an enormous debt to Rod Harrison, Gordon Winter, Bryan Pratt and Vic McCrystal. They changed the image of native fish, including Murray cod, from a food supply to be taken by any means to valued sportsfish. They did a total makeover and because of their efforts to popularise them as sportsfish government agencies eventually responded. Many stories will never be told of the battles fought behind the scenes. I can tell you we were told that stocking cod into Eildon would never work .... Rex Hunt deserves credit for that; if it was up to the government people at the time it may have never happened as Eildon was a trout fishery. Another one was that bass would never work in dams in Queensland - some of the people that did the most to prevent it now take credit for the success.

Those too young to remember how it was take for granted the terrific cod fisheries we now have. I was involved with a documentary in 1979 and remember Rod talking about that we were down to a few places where there were still numbers of natives which we could do something with but if we waited much longer it would be too late. He also mentioned that at that time few people fished for cod the way he and Gordon Winter did and most people didn't regard cod as a serious sportsfish.

We owe these pioneers a lot.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I'm glad they did. The attitude within Australia has changed towards them. It may play a significant role in tourism is years to come... When the rest fo the world discovers that Australia isn't like Crocodile Dundee.

Thanks Truedogz

Pirana

Post by Pirana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Truedogz wrote:
deathray wrote:I was involved with a documentary in 1979...
Hi Truedogz,
What was the documentary? Is it still around?

Golden01

Post by Golden01 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:01 pm

A wonderful description and memory. It was not so long ago that I did not believe the Murray Cod would be anything but a memory and great tales around the camp fire. Fortunately those in high places realised the importance of this amazing fish and as a result they are on the increase once again.
Recently went for a day fishing with my son to the Campaspe to try our luck. No fish but a great day and evening on the bank of the river.
I have just purchased a Eyoyo 9" Monitor 8GB 50M Underwater Video Camera Fish Finder 1000TVL. I am hoping it will produce some good videos of Cod, Yellow belly, etc.
Wondering if anyone else has used any underwater equipment and what thoughts you have about it.

Longshankhooks
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Longshankhooks » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Murray cod means delicious white meat and perfect for eating. Mmmmmmmmmm

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Longshankhooks wrote:Murray cod means delicious white meat and perfect for eating. Mmmmmmmmmm
Soooo...…...Ya troll much? ;-)

Pirana

Post by Pirana » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Millzee wrote:
Longshankhooks wrote:Murray cod means delicious white meat and perfect for eating. Mmmmmmmmmm

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 am

"Frustration", I saw a baby one (around 30cm long) that could have saved a blank in Warradyte yesterday, just chilling right on the surface taking in some sun. I got 5 different lures right past it's face and it wasn't having any of them and eventually swam off, so yeah "frustration"!

Pirana

Post by Pirana » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Expomnowcon wrote:"Frustration", I saw a baby one (around 30cm long) that could have saved a blank in Warradyte yesterday, just chilling right on the surface taking in some sun. I got 5 different lures right past it's face and it wasn't having any of them and eventually swam off, so yeah "frustration"!
Hi Expomnowcon. I hear that "frustration" as a "challange" ;-)

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Pirana wrote:
Expomnowcon wrote:"Frustration", I saw a baby one (around 30cm long) that could have saved a blank in Warradyte yesterday, just chilling right on the surface taking in some sun. I got 5 different lures right past it's face and it wasn't having any of them and eventually swam off, so yeah "frustration"!
Hi Expomnowcon. I hear that "frustration" as a "challange" ;-)
Spot on mate, I'll be back to that location very soon!

Longshankhooks
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Longshankhooks » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:29 pm

Millzee wrote:
Being honest and genuine. I bet you are the one ‘trolling’ here, labelling genuine people as a ‘troll’.

Return to “Australian Natives”