More surface cod!

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

More surface cod!

Post by Truedogz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:40 pm

With all of the other reports of cod on surface lures I managed to get down to the river near home for a few hours.

I've got in my lure collection some of the latest surface lures such as Pomapadores, Z-man frogs etc. When I was a kid I use to surface fish for cod and bass with the old floppy lures. The bib could be set to shallow diving and if you worked them very slowly they would waddle across the surface. In cicada season the fish use to absolutely smash them. I still have a few in my lure box.

When I got to the river I threw in a line with cheese and on the spinning rod I tied on a floppy, set it for shallow, for a bit of nostalgia fishing. On my first cast as it slurped past a snag the water exploded and I landed this cod, in broad daylight!
surface cod.jpg
surface cod.jpg (382.05 KiB) Viewed 998 times
After a fair bit of casting without further sucess I baited up the spinning rod with worms. I picked up three very small trouties and then this good sized yella:
nice yella.jpg
nice yella.jpg (338.61 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Close to dark I fished off this sandbank with the floppy on the surface:
the spot.jpg
the spot.jpg (237.8 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Second cast this trouty took the floppy and put up quite a tussle for its size:
surface troutie.jpg
surface troutie.jpg (343.38 KiB) Viewed 998 times
In the fading light I had three more strikes, all at my feet, which failed to hookup. By then the mozzies were getting bad and I gave it away.

Not big fish but heaps of fun, particularly with the water thrown around by the surface hits.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: More surface cod!

Post by Boonanza » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:06 pm

The last 2 reports you have made have been the best on this site all year Truedogz :thumbsup: I love the old skool methods and using a flopy is awesome mate :a_goodjob:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:00 am

Awsome work on the flopyy lure

Cheers bm

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:40 am

Love the reel too, great fish!

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:18 am

Great report Will :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:37 am

Good report Will, well done on the fish, cheers davo. :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks Gents

I put in this report really to encourage those people that have never tried for cod on surface lures to have a go. Some of the fish caught by BM and others over the past few days put my fish to shame - I just wanted to show the newbees it really isn't that hard. You don't need huge surface lures if the water is shallow enough.

In the dim light the cod come out of their hidey holes and cruise the shallows looking for prey. You can catch them after dark on surface lures too, just need to be patient.

When I was a kid I use to surface fish for trout cod in the Buffalo River and the Seven Creeks. Once the black cicadas were around, pissin on you while you were fishing, the cod went nuts on surface lures and even flies. A friend of mine near Myrtleford says the best time for cod fishing up that way is during the cicada season.

Two lures that need to be brought back into production are the floppy and the plucky - there is really nothing quite like them around today and they are potent fish takers.

Davo, I caught the fish about a km downstream from your screen saver spot. Big sandbank there.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:08 am

Truedogz wrote:Thanks Gents

I put in this report really to encourage those people that have never tried for cod on surface lures to have a go. Some of the fish caught by BM and others over the past few days put my fish to shame - I just wanted to show the newbees it really isn't that hard. You don't need huge surface lures if the water is shallow enough.

In the dim light the cod come out of their hidey holes and cruise the shallows looking for prey. You can catch them after dark on surface lures too, just need to be patient.

When I was a kid I use to surface fish for trout cod in the Buffalo River and the Seven Creeks. Once the black cicadas were around, pissin on you while you were fishing, the cod went nuts on surface lures and even flies. A friend of mine near Myrtleford says the best time for cod fishing up that way is during the cicada season.

Two lures that need to be brought back into production are the floppy and the plucky - there is really nothing quite like them around today and they are potent fish takers.

Davo, I caught the fish about a km downstream from your screen saver spot. Big sandbank there.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Some good water along there, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 am

Nice report and pics mate :thumbsup:

bilby

Post by bilby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 am

Great report ... and loving the old Mitchell reel!

Return to “Australian Natives”