Wee-rup

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
dezza68

Re: Wee-rup

Post by dezza68 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Love the old Mitchell match. One of the best reels I've ever had. Was a carp slayer back in the day.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I gave this a go in the Bunyip State Forest this afternoon. At first I used a worm under a quill float which I drifted past likely looking snags but had no luck. It kept catching on things and wouldn't work at all in With just a couple of worms left I took the float off and was left with a pea size split shot 15cm above a tiny hook. Dangling this rig in front of a snag got me a chunky little tupong. Must've got bitten by a leech somewhere along the way because I've got a little cut on my leg that refuses to clot

Just wondering what rig you would normally set up for this kind of fishing?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

I use a small running sinker, certainly no bigger than a pea, and if I have a leader it is short. The old trick I use is a piece of bicycle valve tube rubber threaded up the line. It can be held in place with a match or twig jammed in it. No swivel to tie and you can vary the leader from any length down to nothing. You really have to place the worm into the shadows even shove your rod under the banks, logs, foam rafts on a bright sunny day.

In the past I have found the blackfish to be a bit patchy in Bunyip state park. The densities can be low, you have to get the bait into the correct spot. But the average size is usually fairly good, around 30 cm and I have caught 50 cm fish out of it. A good tributary is the Diamond Creek near Tonimumbuc. Similarly, other small tributaries can be better than the Bunyip itself. Not huge numbers, but a reasonable average size. In some streams up that way you might get 3 fish per pool but in others 1 fish every six pools, so it can be a patchy affair. The lower Bunyip is best fished on dark, fewer fish but there are some beauties.

Don't give up, enjoy the scenery and cool off, you will eventually catch them. :victory: Even on the day I reported on it took me ninety minutes till I got my first bite, a fish under a large piece of bark lying on the stream bed. After that I got the hang of it but even then some good looking pools I didn't get a siff out of.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Went back to the same spot after work today, this time with a running sinker rig. I tried a bunch of likely looking hidey holes, and with the Diamond Creek pretty narrow in that spot I was usually able to just lean out and drop the rig straight in front. Unfortunately the only things biting were the mozzies, march flies and leeches so I made my way back the car. Next to where I parked the car there was a largish pool so I put all my remaining worms on the hook and plonked them right in the middle. The sun had set by this stage so I figured if there was anything in there it'd be out and about.

After 10min I got a little nibble, then another so I set the hook. I thought I had a blackfish when I saw something dark moving beneath the surface but it turned out to be a smallish eel. It had swallowed the hook all the way up to the sinker and I didn't feel right letting something probably quite badly injured go so I killed it and chucked it in an esky as gummy bait.

Might need to find a new spot, maybe a bit further down stream or something. Back to google maps to find a spot accessible from the road I guess.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Australian Natives”