Biggest Yella

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Biggest Yella

Post by Truedogz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm

I was talking to someone this morning and the discussion came up about how big yellowbelly grow to. I mentioned the 54 pound fish caught many years ago but they brought up the the Wikepedia page saying it was doubtful and no other fish anywhere near that size have been reported.

Like most people I do use Wikepedia but never trust it. Some keyboard warriors pounce on any changes preventing accurate information being placed there - and someone seems to be doing it with the native fish pages. So don't believe everything you read!

The biggest golden perch recorded weighed 54 pounds (24.6 kg) cleaned and was taken by a professional fisherman from the Kow Swamp near Kerang by gill net in February 1938. It was photographed, and I saw the pic back in the 1970s in a pub, but its been lost since. Below is a copy of the receipt for its sale at the fish market:
golden perch record.jpg
golden perch record.jpg (177.59 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
What Wikepedia says about the size being well above other reports is incorrect too. There are several excellent reports of fish in the 25 -50 pound range including one of 42 pounds caught near Wagga that was weighed and documented by the local NSW fishing inspector. I have seen one caught in a river that was sixteen pounds though I know some monsters have come out of impoundments.

Whats the biggest yella you have seen?

Best Wishes

Truedogz

drew 2

Re: Biggest Yella

Post by drew 2 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Biggest i've seen would be mid 70 cm's.Caught on a springer in the darling below menindee around about '84 '85.
I remember it because we ate it.

I've never eaten a yella over 40cm since.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:45 pm

That's a bloody big yella . Would love to see one that big. As far as wiki goes sometimes people's agendas get in the way of facts.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:52 am

Ive caught a few btn 60 and 70 in the goulburn.

When I was a kid we use to get some massive ones on set lines in the murray.

Ii few yrs ago I got a fat one from eldion....a bit over 14 pds pds but more fat than long.

Bm

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:03 am

I grew up next to kow swamp and fished there a lot as a kid. There was an old bloke who was pro fisherman called snow who lived on the edge of the lake next to our irrigation pump ( before i was born) From what i've read there was a pic of the fish in the koondrook pub at some stage. the biggest i've caught out of there was about 12 lbs And another one a friend got was about 17lb

cheers Will

Return to “Australian Natives”