Broken Wednesday

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Broken Wednesday

Post by Truedogz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Any idea why they stopped making the Floppy? Are there any similar lures on the market today?
The floppy, along with the plucky, were made by Rublex, a French Company, who also came out eventually with the celta. As I understand it the rights were purchased by Mitchell, then Garcia, or something along those lines. The moulds were wearing out so they decided to got to a hard body version which was a relative failure so production stopped in the late 1970s.

It is a tragedy for fishing for the floppy was one of the best lures ever invented. The adjustable bib meant you could fish it deep, shallow or as a surface lure. Because of the soft rubber body fish could crunch down on it, being more natural and hookup better compared to hard lures which can jam in the fish's mouth. The air-filled body meant that it makes a great, natural plonk sound when it lands on the water. Quite often I have had fish strike a floppy before I even get a chance to retrieve it.

The other night in discoloured water I landed one cod and had four other hits with the floppy on the surface. Daveo had a pompadour and didn't get a sniff in exactly the same spots.

Many consider it the best bass lure ever and years ago us oldies used to surface fish for cod with them before it became a popular thing to target cod that way. Rod Harrison, Gordon Winter, we all did it, I grew up catching trout cod on the surface with floppys in the Seven Creeks before it got closed to fishing.

These days I try to reserve them for surface fishing, but sometimes I weaken, set them for deep dive and lose them. :oops:

My supply is now running low. :(

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Australian Natives”