Yarra cod. How common are they?

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
rodderslw

Yarra cod. How common are they?

Post by rodderslw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:20 am

Caught this nice cod in the Yarra system. Was fat and healthy it swan off strongly. Is the population growing? I hear more and more reports. Is it worth targetting them properly or is this like a once in a lifetime fish?
2017-01-23_01-12-48.jpg

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Yarra cod. How common are they?

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 am

My first cod in the Yarra was of that size, if not bigger (65+cm). Had a mate catch a <25cm as his first fish from there. Stopped (consistently) fishing the Yarra for about 2 years just after getting those firsts - my assumptions from reading reports online is it's improving at a good rate - but of course all fish should be returned to the water to help the growth of the population.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:58 am

Nice fish mate :thumbsup: People have been catching cod in the yarra as long as I can remember it was just a secret most kept to themselves. There are a lot more people fishing for them now and posting it online.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

There was a story in one of the papers a few years ago about someone catching a metre plus cod from the Yarra, I think that was when the secret got out
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 am

They are common enough that you can target them. But there's not enough of them for the rape and pillaging that happens when everyone is talking about it.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Luckily a lot of the sections that hold them have limited bank access, and the rapids even make kayak access a challenge. Most targeting other species are using gear too light to stop a big specimen.

bilby

Post by bilby » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Yes, it's a bit like asking how common mulloway are in the estuary section of the Yarra ... pretty common at times, but sometimes frustratingly hard to locate and even harder to land a good one!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:08 pm

bilby wrote:Yes, it's a bit like asking how common mulloway are in the estuary section of the Yarra ... pretty common at times, but sometimes frustratingly hard to locate and even harder to land a good one!
That's what makes a capture more rewarding.

Cod have been common knowledge in the Yarra I remember reading about them years ago in a fishing mag. Guess not many people used to bother I will take my sup there one night and have a go.

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Well I have had about 6 trips to eildon in the past 3 years for zero cod so this was a nice surprise. This spot is close to home so i will now feel i have some sort of chance when i flick a lure around. I puzzles me why anyone would want to keep a cod to eat...much rather a flatty or pinkie to dine on.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 pm

rodderslw wrote:Well I have had about 6 trips to eildon in the past 3 years for zero cod so this was a nice surprise. This spot is close to home so i will now feel i have some sort of chance when i flick a lure around. I puzzles me why anyone would want to keep a cod to eat...much rather a flatty or pinkie to dine on.
Catch and release for me too if I happen to get the chance to catch one. If you persevere you will get one.

Return to “Australian Natives”