Yarra cod. How common are they?

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Yarra cod. How common are they?

Post by barra mick » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 am

Only way to go with cod.....catch and release

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:12 am

I heard in the the 70's there was Cod in the Yarra, but without forums never heard of any caught until the late 8o'swhen a bloke I met at the Warrandyte pub said an occasional small one now and again were Being caught between the bridge and pub using live roach as bait.
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

fozzy

Post by fozzy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Nice fish mate. What did you catch it on?

I took a few spinnerbaits down around the pound bend area to no avail. I was just walking the bank but found it hard due to limited water access.

Foz.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:10 pm

That's the Yarra fishing experience - limited chance on lures and significant difficulty finding continuous decent bank access. Baits is literally the best and only option - if you are wanting to keep your frustration and confidence levels in a manageable state.

fozzy

Post by fozzy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Very true. I was just happy to get out on such a nice sunny Saturday.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:02 pm

I would be trying Sweeneys Lane in Eltham some very fishy water there.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

fozzy

Post by fozzy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Boonanza wrote:I would be trying Sweeneys Lane in Eltham some very fishy water there.
Thanks mate, ill give it a whirl tomorrow - will report on results.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 pm

How well do you know that area?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:04 pm

fozzy wrote:
Boonanza wrote:I would be trying Sweeneys Lane in Eltham some very fishy water there.
Thanks mate, ill give it a whirl tomorrow - will report on results.
You can access the bank via sweeney flats between sweeneys lane and Griffith park. Bit of depth at the bend at sweeneys (5m)and also between the rapids at Griffith(6m) and the basin at the end of griffith park(7m). The rest of the section is relatively shallow 2m or less

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:23 pm

'Cod and perch' were first released into the Yarra in 1857 with fish transported from the King Parrot Creek. By the 1890s Murray cod, trout cod and Macquarie perch were common through to Warburton. All three species went into decline during the twentieth century. The last trout cod were caught around WW2 and Murray cod were fairly rare by that time too. By the 1970s there were only small numbers of maccas between Warrandyte and Yarra Glen and you would hear of a Murray cod caught every four or five years - they were extremely rare.

The Macquarie perch started to increase in numbers in the 1980s, after carp arrived and redfin numbers plummeted. Prior to that in some places it was possible to catch a dozen or so small reddies a day in the Yarra - you don't see that these days. Maccas are now most common from Yerring downstream to Heidelberg but are present in smaller numbers upstream to Woori Yallock.

The Murray cod started to turn up in numbers during the early 1990s. The rumour is anglers have been stocking them and so, unlike Macquarie perch which are a self-supporting population, the cod may not be actually breeding and the fishery is dependent on the illegal releases.

The greatest concentration of Murray cod is from Warrandyte downstream to Heidelberg and they are present in sufficient numbers to specifically target. There are lesser numbers from Warrandyte upstream to Yerring and a few people I know target them in that section but the success rate is lower, though the shallower water in places lends itself to lure fishing from a canoe. There are cod in small numbers from Yerring upstream through to at least Healesville that I know of.

If you want to preserve the cod fishery in the Yarra then everyone must practice catch and release as the government will never stock them.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Australian Natives”