Removing restrictions on trout.

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Bob Nudd

Re: Removing restrictions on trout.

Post by Bob Nudd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 am

also, as far as trout restrictions go, let's not forget that we still have a bag limit of 5 for tench and roach in Victoria for christ's sake.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Bob Nudd wrote:i could never undestand the obsession with native fish. i take all fish at their face value, based on sport and eating qualities and i'll take trout over natives any day. saying that natives are better because they are, well, natives is nothing but a reverse racism.

having said that, i think the fisheries do a pretty terrible job when it comes to lakes and reservoirs management as their number one goal should be creation of self sustained fish population, but instead they stock fish that don't breed in lakes. pointless.
Firstly there's no such thing as reverse racism. It's either racist or it's not. Secondly applying racism to fish is ridiculous in my opinion. Third, I've yet to meet a trout that can out fight a bass of similar size. Even carp fight better

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Basti wrote:
Bob Nudd wrote:i could never undestand the obsession with native fish. i take all fish at their face value, based on sport and eating qualities and i'll take trout over natives any day. saying that natives are better because they are, well, natives is nothing but a reverse racism.

having said that, i think the fisheries do a pretty terrible job when it comes to lakes and reservoirs management as their number one goal should be creation of self sustained fish population, but instead they stock fish that don't breed in lakes. pointless.
Firstly there's no such thing as reverse racism. It's either racist or it's not. Secondly applying racism to fish is ridiculous in my opinion. Third, I've yet to meet a trout that can out fight a bass of similar size. Even carp fight better
LOL Reverse Racism.
Should become a meme
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm

The obsession with native fish as I understand comes partly from the manner in which they are targeted and fight, tendency to live close to structure and hit lures and baits aggressively once they commit. The other side however is much more relevant to the topic at hand, Native fish in australia have survived and evolved to coexist in the same waterways as each other, the introduction of new species to these waterways is crowding out some native species by filling the niche they once occupied while the smaller species are being hunted at an unsustainable rate and populations are declining. Have a read of some of the journals and articles broomstick has linked for a few specific examples.

As far as the stocking of rainbow trout for put and take fisheries go my understanding is that trout aren't overly dear to breed, grow fast and aren't overly difficult to catch. The aim of these fish is to introduce newcomers to the sport and I imagine officials would be looking to do so in the most cost efficient manner hence the decision to go with trout.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Tackleberry wrote:same as all the pretty bambi deer and wild horses running around the high country their all vermin and should be shoot on sight

just like dogs cats goats and pigs .
Might as well set the whole f@C%$^ng country on fire then, as it is even the Naitives ( kangaroo and Dingo) are shot cause they are considered as causing too much trouble nowdays.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:same as all the pretty bambi deer and wild horses running around the high country their all vermin and should be shoot on sight

just like dogs cats goats and pigs .
Might as well set the whole f@C%$^ng country on fire then, as it is even the Naitives ( kangaroo and Dingo) are shot cause they are considered as causing too much trouble nowdays.

Im guessing thats an eventuality.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Basti wrote:Firstly there's no such thing as reverse racism. It's either racist or it's not. Secondly applying racism to fish is ridiculous in my opinion.
what's your interpretation of OP's (an obvious troll but still) chain of thought that all non-native species should be automatically declared noxious? if that's not fish racism, i don't know what is.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Bob Nudd wrote:
Basti wrote:Firstly there's no such thing as reverse racism. It's either racist or it's not. Secondly applying racism to fish is ridiculous in my opinion.
what's your interpretation of OP's (an obvious troll but still) chain of thought that all non-native species should be automatically declared noxious? if that's not fish racism, i don't know what is.
i agree with him. leaving aside the fact that anglers find it fun to catch them (and the money this generates) can you name one other benefit that introduced species have had on this country?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Basti wrote:
Bob Nudd wrote:
i agree with him. leaving aside the fact that anglers find it fun to catch them (and the money this generates) can you name one other benefit that introduced species have had on this country?
Well they've inspired the posting of this majestic thread...
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Basti wrote:
Bob Nudd wrote:leaving aside the fact that anglers find it fun to catch them (and the money this generates)
why would i leave it aside? that's in fact the only thing that matters.

Return to “Australian Natives”