Removing restrictions on trout.

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Removing restrictions on trout.

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Fisho11 wrote:Hypothectically if Trout were not stocked and classed as noxious, populations declined, would larger natives take there place? Or more Blackfish and Galaxis? Ive always wondered what was in those smaller creeks pre introduced species.
Cheers
Fisho11
probably depends where the decline took place, and if there were any non-natives to take over. But yeah, I would expect that the fish that trout are currently eating or out competing for food would start to increase their numbers. Of course many of the creeks face other pressures as well as trout, agricultural runoff, snag removal, dams etc which may well prevent any natives from reaching their pre-European settlement populations but getting rid of trout certainly wouldn't hurt
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:13 pm

If you want to know what was where read:

http://truetales.com.au/book.php

The reality is trout fishing is popular and you won't turn back the clock. Besides, if you got trout out of the streams it would just be another excuse to shut people out of national parks.

Truedogz

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
rb85 wrote:As trout are an introduced species should there be no closed season or bag limits? Should they be declared noxious not to be returned live?

Fish-Cador get your popcorn mate.
I wonder why most of your posts are intended to stir the pot. :down:

Wolly, ban this guy. :rofl:
No intention of Pot stirring whatsoever. Wanted to see how others view trout in comparison to other introduced species.
Thought I would invite you for some popcorn as it seems to be your thing. :-D

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm

For me there will always be a soft spot for trout fishing but I also understand that they are an introduced species that seem to take resources away from other native species that others here have mentioned in similar threads.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:28 pm

It seems that it would be worth getting a petition together and sending it to the DPI to suggest they change their stocking priorities! :-)

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Fisho11 wrote:Hypothectically if Trout were not stocked and classed as noxious, populations declined, would larger natives take there place? Or more Blackfish and Galaxis? Ive always wondered what was in those smaller creeks pre introduced species.
Cheers
Fisho11
Australian grayling populations have been decimated by trout. They fill a very similar ecological niche to trout and are in direct competition with them, but are nowhere near as voroacious or prolific breeders. Galaxids are also easy prey for trout and there is a lot of evidence showing direct correlations between trout introductions and declines in galaxid populations.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 am

same as all the pretty bambi deer and wild horses running around the high country their all vermin and should be shoot on sight

just like dogs cats goats and pigs .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:41 am

Tackleberry wrote:same as all the pretty bambi deer and wild horses running around the high country their all vermin and should be shoot on sight

just like dogs cats goats and pigs .
Yep. If it isn't native it should be open season.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

drewb

Post by drewb » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

I understand the principle, but it's a bit simplistic to suggest the merits of trout are based solely on ecological considerations. Trout angling is a massive tourist industry and supports a number of regional communities.

Stocking natives such as bass and EP's outside their natural range is no different. They will still prey on, and likely outcompete the indigenous species which aren't accustomed to those pressures. Whether its trout or bass you're still introducing an apex predator into a foreign environment.

The removal of trout from some of the more pristine systems may see an improvement in native stocks, however the reality is many systems where trout are stocked are substantially compromised and reduced trout stocking would only see a rise in more damaging exotics such as carp and redfin.

Bob Nudd

Post by Bob Nudd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:47 am

i could never undestand the obsession with native fish. i take all fish at their face value, based on sport and eating qualities and i'll take trout over natives any day. saying that natives are better because they are, well, natives is nothing but a reverse racism.

having said that, i think the fisheries do a pretty terrible job when it comes to lakes and reservoirs management as their number one goal should be creation of self sustained fish population, but instead they stock fish that don't breed in lakes. pointless.

Return to “Australian Natives”