Tough few days on the bass

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Hosery

Tough few days on the bass

Post by Hosery » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Headed away New Year's Day up the snowy to jacksons crossing for 4 days chasing some rnr with the missus and kid and a mate and his missus. Can't say we fished crazy hard but we did give them a fair crack without a touch till the final arvo. Only managed 1 fish about 35-37cm just before dark than missed a couple on the surface. Thought they might be coming on so back out first light for not another touch again. Oh well that's fishing. Funny thing though was we saw what I can only saw were poddy mullet. I thought mullet were only salt/brackish and we were a long way up the fresh. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.
All in all was a good trip away first camping trip with my daughter and our new camper trailer. And to top it off out fished my mate if only 1 fish to none. Unfortunately no pics don't really like taking my phone out in the yak.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Tough few days on the bass

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Sounds like a nice relaxing fun trip with the family :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Sounds like a nice trip

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Not mullet - grayling! I see them sometimes in the Merri Creek near Northcote, but no doubt more common in the Snowy.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Yep Grayling. One fish decimated by damming rivers and introduction of Trout/Redfin. They can be very flighty in broad daylight

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 pm

bilby wrote:Not mullet - grayling! I see them sometimes in the Merri Creek near Northcote, but no doubt more common in the Snowy.

Ah your onto it. Didn't even consider a grayling. Ive caught a few years ago in the Mitchell when I was young. They were only small though. Ones we saw up the snowy were decent size 30-35cm at a guess and really fat. All were in schools of maybe 10 fish and a few different schools feeding on the surface and playing around like a mullet would. Good to see as I thought they were endangered. Pity about the stupid goldfish that are starting to get thick up that section of the river trying to destroy it.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 pm

cobby wrote:Yep Grayling. One fish decimated by damming rivers and introduction of Trout/Redfin. They can be very flighty in broad daylight
They were happy swimming around for a good few hours while we were fishing and didn't come out till the sun hit the water. Came close enough a few time to get a decent look at them while flicking lures around.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Well you gave it a good crack mate. Better luck next time i guess.
Those graylings looks cool. Do they take lures??

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:40 am

They could have been mullet too, they push up into the fresh. I jagged one in the snowy fishing for bass a couple of years ago.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 am

I think Jacksons Crossing is way too high up the river for mullet (you do see big sea mullet up at Orbost sometimes, though). From memory, it's illegal to fish for Grayling, so probably shouldn't actively target them with flies or lures. If you get one, then catch and release is the name of the game.

Return to “Australian Natives”