Any tips for fishing the yarra?

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
adza

Any tips for fishing the yarra?

Post by adza » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Headed up reefton way this weekend looking to get onto some fish in the yarra near there, have only been on saltwater up until now and am still fairly new to that. Was wondering if anyone could help me out with what i need for fishing freshwater, not looking to target anything specific haha. Any help is appreciated, thanks :water:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Any tips for fishing the yarra?

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm sure someone on here will give you a few tips etc.. sorry I can't as I live in Tassie.. check out the freshwater reports on the forum you should find something there that will help you out..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 pm

There are trouts there. I fished the yarra in the Warburton area. Try to find deep pool or target the edges, usually they hide in the undercut of the river bank. Cast small lures like mapso spinner in the smalles size or strike tiger micro spoon.
Or maggot/nymph under float

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 pm

The yarra starts getting pretty thin and shallow (in the small amount of recon ive done) up around reefton, but there will be trout and blackfish. You'll have to bush bash and walk to find holes and areas you can cast - but both of those will exist with fish in every hole. Id recommend drifting worms or a small bubble float (for casting weight) - followed by a dry fly.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 pm

6-6.5ft rod is ideal (max 7ft) of 1-3kg weight. 1000-2500 size reel, 4-8lb line will suit (preferably with a 4lb leader).

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Evening like today, the trouts would be taking dry fly.
I got more success fly fishing there in upper yarra than lure fishing. Dry fly and nymph dropper combo. Works everytime everywhere. Specially in warm weather days.
If you don't fly fish, then use the technique happyfriggincamper said. Use float with dry fly following. Nymph dropper if you could.

Return to “Australian Natives”