Hot weather cod

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Bugatti

Re: Hot weather cod

Post by Bugatti » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:22 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm
April Fool wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:08 pm
I am far from a cod pro but this pic shows the spot where I have caught most of my cod over the last 5 years. Some decent size ones (a couple over 60 cm's caught by mates) have been caught here and heaps of undersize cod.
downstream18.jpg
This is featureless water!!!!!! On saying that, there is a regulator about 20 metres upstream. This channel is 8 foot deep with very few fluctuations. The odd weed bed is certainly a likely spot. Anywhere with shade is sort after for personal comfort! A few metres down from my chair the channel is about 1 metre wider for a short distance. This area often produces by simply putting a bait out a couple metres from the bank in about a metre of water. I sit upstream and cast downstream so I am not sitting right near my bait.

Overhanging trees are a definite spot to target. Bridges are another example of structure to target on the channels but I guess we have a lot more bridges. One hotspot in the channels which may be relevant to the river is targeting bends. There are always backcurrents on channel bends (you can't see the current though) and this offers refuge to the fish and provides a food supply.

Assuming you guys are land based in this area, have you ever thought of getting one of them sounders that you cast out? Seb, can you take your yak in these waters, a sounder should locate structure. Do you get many snags? The only other thing I can suggest is cover a lot of water if you can.

Good report as well!
Cheers
Team Bender...not Team Cod!
Wow, that is structureless spot. Looks good though.

Yeah landbased.
I thought of that, bringing my yak and use the sounder for underwater structure, but yarra has unusual patterns. Some slow water then rocky rapid and fast run etc.
Not many places to launch a kayak, not much water to cover from the launching spot and blocked by rocky rapid etc.

That cast out sounder is a good idea.
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:22 am
Cheers seb - glad you got a yarra cod. Figuring them out on lure in the yarra is probably needing a fair bit of time investment - while we are blessed having these fish so close to home, the yarra is certainly devoid of blessings whrn it comes to obvious structure you see in the cod country waters of goulburn, ovens, etc.

Last nights location was one of the more "structured" parts of water ive seen in my yarra recon, but as you saw there really isnt much to go by as what would definitely be holding a cod and you are really guessing using really subtle hints and assumptions. In total, had 1 landed on lure, 2 sub surface hits and 2 boofs over a few hundred casts. They are definitely there and do take, just so much bloody effort!

If anyone has any advice for targeting cod on lures in water with very limited features & structure, im all ears for advice!

It's reading posts like what you three have put up that widens our own scopes on fishing these Jolly Green Cod. Thanks for the insight guys (Seb, happyfiggncamper & April Fool). And thanks guys for a great read.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Australian Natives”