MACQUARIE PERCH RECOVERY PLAN

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

MACQUARIE PERCH RECOVERY PLAN

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:43 pm

The following is self-explanatory:

In 2017, you provided comment on the “Draft National Recovery Plan for the Macquarie Perch (Macquaria australasica)”. Those comments were considered and taken into account while finalising the recovery plan’s development.

The Australian Government is pleased to announce that in February 2019, the “National Recovery Plan for the Macquarie Perch (Macquaria australasica)” was registered and made effective under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The recovery plan was in force from 9th February. Digital copies of the recovery plan can be accessed from the species’ Australian Government SPRAT (Species Profile and Threats Database) profile available here - http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/s ... n_id=66632 or alternatively here - http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... asica-2018.

Wellllllllll - does this plan give me any confidence in the recovery of Macquarie Perch - NO. In my submission I pointed out that Coliban Reservoir no longer held Macquarie Perch and in fact had dried up since it was last stocked with Maccas. I also pointed out that the Wannon River population of Maccas was well and truly gone (I even checked with the local angling club secretary and another person who fishes the river regularly).. Guess what - both places are listed as still having populations of Maccas! Anyway one can but try.

Paul

Brownie

Re: MACQUARIE PERCH RECOVERY PLAN

Post by Brownie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:38 am

Paulanderson wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:43 pm
The following is self-explanatory:

In 2017, you provided comment on the “Draft National Recovery Plan for the Macquarie Perch (Macquaria australasica)”. Those comments were considered and taken into account while finalising the recovery plan’s development.

The Australian Government is pleased to announce that in February 2019, the “National Recovery Plan for the Macquarie Perch (Macquaria australasica)” was registered and made effective under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The recovery plan was in force from 9th February. Digital copies of the recovery plan can be accessed from the species’ Australian Government SPRAT (Species Profile and Threats Database) profile available here - http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/s ... n_id=66632 or alternatively here - http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... asica-2018.

Wellllllllll - does this plan give me any confidence in the recovery of Macquarie Perch - NO. In my submission I pointed out that Coliban Reservoir no longer held Macquarie Perch and in fact had dried up since it was last stocked with Maccas. I also pointed out that the Wannon River population of Maccas was well and truly gone (I even checked with the local angling club secretary and another person who fishes the river regularly).. Guess what - both places are listed as still having populations of Maccas! Anyway one can but try.

Paul
Hi mate. Any idea of how they are going, or are they gone, from Expedition Pass res Castlemaine. Went a couple of times over the last 12 mths but no sign of any, which doesn't mean they are not there just I never caught one. Just a few small reddies.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi Brownie

I have seen a couple of reports of single Maccas being caught at Expedition Pass Reservoir in the past year but that is all. I really fail to understand why Fisheries would stock some of the very low number of Maccas they breed each year in a reservoir full of Redfin and with no feeder river where they could breed and possibly establish a viable population. Maccas are not easy to breed in a hatchery when compared to many other species but instead of facing the challenge Fisheries simply produce a token number with help from NFA Vic (Maccas from the Yarra) and brood stock from Dartmouth Dam. There is no incentive at present for commercial hatcheries to try and breed them.

Have any other members fished Expedition Pass of late and had any success?

Paul

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:08 pm

The elephant in the room is the introduced vermin that have displaced the native fish...

Fisheries should pull their collective fingers out and simply stock natives, rather than introduced species.

This makes very interesting reading...

https://www.fishhabitatnetwork.com.au/d ... PUT097e21b

You can't really have both; a resurgence of natives and competing introduced species...

Take your pick - I know what I'd prefer :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Yeah. I dont know why they dont stock Tullaroop with natives instead of only trout.
They accidentally released some yella's in it once and they grew to some decent sizes. There's plenty of feed in there, yabbies and huge schools of minnows. I love my trout fishing but would love to see that res stocked with something else as well.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:37 pm

At least you tried Paul. On another note, I just spent 2 days as a radio operator (CFA) in a comms van at a fire at Tarcombe which has the Hughes Creek running through it. I think at least 100 hectares was burnt.

Fortunately only the grass burnt and it did not get up into the trees. So there isn't that much ash on the ground. I am no expert but as we are getting light rain at times without runoff, hopefully the ash will decompose where it sits rather than ending up in the creek.
Cheers
Jim

Return to “Australian Natives”