Tank testing cod!

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Tank testing cod!

Post by April Fool » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi peoples
Was checking out a local cod this morning whilst its tank was being cleaned by one of the cod's minions! So I asked the cod's minion if he has ever done a 'hold different colors up to the glass ' test? The answer was yes and the most popular colors....orange and green. He then showed me. Orange was more popular than green. It would have been interesting to try other colors but he was busy. You could see the agression when exposed to orange. On the other hand, there were yabbies sitting exposed on a log and the cod didn't give a f*** about them...like it wasn't hungry.

Another member here has told me that orange is his favorite color for cod. Now I am wondering what I am going to do with all my non-orange lures!
Cheers
Team Bender
About to rummage through my lures!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Tank testing cod!

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:54 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 pm
Hi peoples
Was checking out a local cod this morning whilst its tank was being cleaned by one of the cod's minions! So I asked the cod's minion if he has ever done a 'hold different colors up to the glass ' test? The answer was yes and the most popular colors....orange and green. He then showed me. Orange was more popular than green. It would have been interesting to try other colors but he was busy. You could see the agression when exposed to orange. On the other hand, there were yabbies sitting exposed on a log and the cod didn't give a f*** about them...like it wasn't hungry.

Another member here has told me that orange is his favorite color for cod. Now I am wondering what I am going to do with all my non-orange lures!
Cheers
Team Bender
Hummm... Last time I was in yarra, no hit in other colours, soon I changed to orange I got a cod. Last trip at Murchison also caught yellowbelly after changed the lure to orange, so did Chris I went with.
Coincident? Got us thinking 'ey....
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 pm

April Fool wrote:
Hi peoples

Cheers
Team Bender
Hey Jim,
Orange is always worth a swim :) Especially if it is this one. This spinnerbait has caught me more cod than any other lure in my tackle box.

Now here is my colour thoughts from my personal fishing experience.
Hard bodies I live lime or light green with orange in the mix.
Orange spinnerbaits, is my number one but I like green and purples
Surface lures I like dark colours but will fish a white rat (savage gear) every session.
Mates I fish with love pink lures, I have never had much success on the pinks.

If cod are on I dont think colour matters too much but if they are shut down then I then to stick to the above.
Cheers
Jed

Ps happy to take your unwanted lures HA :rofl:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:37 am

April Fool wrote:
Hi peoples

You could see the agression when exposed to orange.

On the other hand, there were yabbies sitting exposed on a log and the cod didn't give a f*** about them...like it wasn't hungry.
The interesting thing for me Jim, is they were aggressive AND presumably not hungry.
Gives a bit more leeway to fishing times rather than the Cod's feeding times.

April Fool wrote:

Now I am wondering what I am going to do with all my non-orange lures!

Cheers
Team Bender

Dibs

Give them to me

simplezzzz.PNG

Cheers, Bugatti
Gotta get a bigger tackle-box :-D

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:02 am

Interesting theory.
Always good to have a few different ones but a few same favorites is optimal

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Fri May 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Witnessed the feeding of a Trout cod in a tank (in a hatchery) the other night. Three small fish were sacrificed to the Trout cod god! Talk about a killing machine which comes complete with fins! It was a lot more aggressive than the Murray cod I saw in action the other day...ignoring yabbies! Of course the Murray cod may have eaten 3 kg of yabbies 5 minutes prior to me entering the store...and it was likely the troutie received its first feed for the day...but the Trout cod put up an impressive display of food munching aggressiveness!
Cheers
Team Bender
Think I have met my match in regards to being a guts!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Nice insight on the colour reaction fool, thanks for that!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri May 03, 2019 6:33 pm

April Fool wrote:
Hi peoples

Cheers
Team Bender
Interesting, I like to use lures with some orange underneath, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Wonder how many fishos will be flicking around orange lures this weekend after reading this??

That's interesting Jim! I wonder if ol' mate would react to different colours at different times of the day? Or at different times of the year? Could be a fun experiment for someone out there.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Ok guys couple of queries.
Was the environment artificial apart from the tank? Same light every day, clear water catch my drift.

Secondly tank fish are still known to be more aggressive some says to others so I think the trout cod Murray cod observerations would need to be comparable same time same day over a number of days.

Return to “Australian Natives”