TASMANIAN GIANT FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

TASMANIAN GIANT FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Here is one for Adrian (MeppsTas) to answer. I was just watching an episode of Jeremy Wade's Dark Waters and, apart from the usual "unreality" reality TV, they were in Tasmania and managed to find a couple of Giant Tasmanian Freshwater Crayfish - one about 1 kg and another about 2.5 kg. They even caught a Blackfish along the way. Adrian I know these giant yabbies were heavily overfished and there are severe penalties for taking them. Given some of the small snaggy streams that you fish I was curious if you come across them occasionally or are they truly very rare or starting to recover?

Thanks from Paul

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: TASMANIAN GIANT FRESHWATER CRAYFISH

Post by meppstas » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:15 pm

I've come across a few large ones in the small tannin streams I've fished over the years only when the water level has been very low, one of them being a very large crayfish around the 2 kg mark., Haven't seen any in the rivers I fish for a few years now and yes they have become very scarce in the water ways for sure.. I've found a couple of illegal traps in a small tannin stream one day too, who ever put them there had to do a little bush bashing to get to the river. He wouldn't have found them when he went back any way because I dragged them back to my ute and flattened them.. they were empty too which was good.. I actually came across a small one on a main road one day, it had come out of a creek and up the side of a hill to get to back into creek on the other side of the road. There was a pip that ran under the road but it was too high for the cray to get to it.. I've never come across them in the larger rivers, only in small streams.. They're probably still in the ones I fish but well hidden in the debris that's in the small streams..
The day I came across the small one on the road I had a friend over from Sth Aust, he couldn't believe it.. it was a first for him as was seeing Platypus in the rivers.. They were over fished for many years & are now protected & classed as a endangered species, Maximum fines up to $10,000 for each one found in ones possession..
cheers
Adrian
Tasmanian freshwater crayfish.jpg
Tasmanian fresh water crayfish
Aarron holding the rescued freshwater lobster...JPG
Aarron holding the freshwater crayfish that was in the middle of the road.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 am

meppstas wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:15 pm

I've found a couple of illegal traps in a small tannin stream one day too, who ever put them there had to do a little bush bashing to get to the river. He wouldn't have found them when he went back any way because I dragged them back to my ute and flattened them

The day I came across the small one on the road I had a friend over from Sth Aust, he couldn't believe it.. it was a first for him as was seeing Platypus in the rivers.

cheers
Adrian

Aarron Cray.PNG

Adrian, that is the best and most feel good post on this whole site, and I have surfed this site comprehensively.

So many layers to your post.

* The Crayfish main focus and how that little (oh, sorry GIANT) Tassie battler is still hanging in there.
* Your generosity and hospitality showcased with your friend over from Sth Aust
* Aaron, so glad to see him experience Tasmania and assuming the wild trout that is your speciality
* Aaron's pure excitement (as I can imagine knowing the gentle gentleman that he is) of seeing a Crayfish and them Platypus.
* Aaron would have loved ever minute over there, he truly gets what fishing is about and have seen in the past his pure love for just everything about the sport and can remember Aaron's glee over even the simple
* The special moment of Aaron and yourself coming across that weary traveller and rescuing him (or her, sorry Mrs Cray if I mistook you for a boy Cray)
* The inter-generational affinity of two exceptional Anglers , , , , um , ok, let's have you as , , , , the older brother :-D . Aaron and yourself are carved out of the same block of wood, were as I am made from the wood chips and sawdust off the floor, and glued together.

* But the bit that made me happily laugh out loud is you , , , , you showing gumption and moxie by dragging those traps and flattening them , , , , way to go Adrian :thumbsup:

On, a Tasmanian Giant Freshwater Crayfish issue , , , , Adrian, are there any breeding programs, sanctuaries or some form of trying to save the Cray programs that you know of ?

Cheers, Bill

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:54 am

Hi Adrian thanks for the info and story. I read that there is a place called Lobster Ponds Haven that has managed to breed some but am unsure if it was a deliberate breeding program or just the result of having a few crayfish together in a pond. When I was at high school we used to catch a few Glenelg Spiny Crayfish (in the Glenelg River strange to say) from time to time but they were never very common and I never noticed anyone setting nets for them. They are now endangered as well.

Paul

westvic
Has liked: 155 times

Post by westvic » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:35 am

from a few years ago....check out the last photo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-22/ ... es/9072950

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Bill this is the only thing I could track down regarding the recovery plans for the Tasmanian Crayfish.. As for Aarron,he did enjoy his time here & I took him to a couple of rivers where he did manage to catch a trout both times ..

www.environment.gov.au/system/files/res ... ayfish.pdf

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:14 pm

meppstas wrote:
I've come across a few large ones in the small tannin streams I've fished over the years only when the water level has been very low, one of them being a very large crayfish around the 2 kg mark., Haven't seen any in the rivers I fish for a few years now and yes they have become very scarce in the water ways for sure.. I've found a couple of illegal traps in a small tannin stream one day too, who ever put them there had to do a little bush bashing to get to the river. He wouldn't have found them when he went back any way because I dragged them back to my ute and flattened them.. they were empty too which was good.. I actually came across a small one on a main road one day, it had come out of a creek and up the side of a hill to get to back into creek on the other side of the road. There was a pip that ran under the road but it was too high for the cray to get to it.. I've never come across them in the larger rivers, only in small streams.. They're probably still in the ones I fish but well hidden in the debris that's in the small streams..
The day I came across the small one on the road I had a friend over from Sth Aust, he couldn't believe it.. it was a first for him as was seeing Platypus in the rivers.. They were over fished for many years & are now protected & classed as a endangered species, Maximum fines up to $10,000 for each one found in ones possession..
cheers
Adrian
There massive

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:18 pm

westvic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:35 am
from a few years ago....check out the last photo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-22/ ... es/9072950
I didn't realise things were that bad down there

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:35 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:14 pm
meppstas wrote:
cheers
Adrian
There massive
Monsters! :o_0:

Return to “Australian Natives”