Apollo Bay Harbour advice

westvic
Has liked: 154 times

Apollo Bay Harbour advice

Post by westvic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm heading to Apollo Bay this weekend for a bit of a session with some mates at the Great Ocean Road Brewhouse :a_goodjob:

https://www.greatoceanroadbrewhouse.com.au/

Anyway if schedule permits I'm hoping to spend a bit of time on the harbour wall. Looking to drown some bait while flicking some metal slugs around.

I'm assuming salmon. trevally, and maybe flathead or whiting are likely to be around.

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Re: Apollo Bay Harbour advice

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

G'day WestVic,

Apollo Bay is a favorite haunt for me, even a day with donuts is still a nice day at Apollo. If you haven't been before...there are four choices for you at Apollo....1) the jetty at the boat berthing marina. 2) the ocean side of the eastern rock wall , 3) the marina side of the eastern rock wall, 4) surf beach at the northern end of the bay.

High tides produce the best results at all these locations, and more so if it coincides with sun-up / sun-down. In my opinion don't bother with trying night time unless you are keen on catching Eagle Rays, Banjos, Port Jacksons, or Elephants....more so if any seals turn up which is 50% likely. Squid, Flatties, Trevs, Gurnards, Wrasse, and Gars can be found inside the Marina, most will be under size, but you never know your luck. Soft baits and plastics work best inside the marina. You should do well with pillies or slugs in the search for large Salmon on the eastern rock wall, or on the northern beach. (Stay safe on the rock wall, particularly if the swell is up, landing your catch can be difficult without some assistance)

At the end of the day....where you end up fishing will likely be governed by which position has its back to the wind (or at least it does for me).

Good luck and let us know how you go. (I am looking to go on Saturday but the wind is still up too much for my liking).

westvic

Post by westvic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks StarrangerAU. Just the sort of info I was hoping for.

Most likely times I will get out are Sat arvo high tide or sun morning low tide. Wind looks northerly the whole time.Will prob try pillies, pipies and maybe chicken.

Are the flatties of any decent size around the harbour?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm trying to remember 50 years ago, so I could be wrong
Just the other side of town (sth?) there's a beach with a channel running parallel to it, just off shore
Cheers Gra

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 pm

westvic wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm
.....Are the flatties of any decent size around the harbour?
I don't usually target flatties so the ones I have caught have usually been a by-catch & generally have been undersize. On the high tide in the harbour there should be plenty of shoreline to get the plastic out and have a flick, if that's your thing. Low tide exposes a sandflat in the eastern corner of the marina, so better in my opinion to try that area when the water comes up. Any of the soft baits should work regardless, and will attract a mixed bag if the fish are on the bite. Take some bread, berley pellets and tuna oil to spark some activity just in case.

westvic

Post by westvic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 am

Thanks all will have a crack and report back.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 am

Hope you have a decent session.
Good luck mate!
Cheers :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Good luck mate
Awaiting a massive report when you get back

westvic

Post by westvic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:20 am

So despite the great advice and good intentions we did not get a single minute fishing in. Sat morning we were supposed to go on an reef bashing charter for a bit of fun. That got cancelled due to very high winds. Went down to the harbour and walked out to the end of the jetty. Nearly got blown off. Walked around to check out the rock wall and the whole area is fenced off with big do-not-enter signs as a construction site. Looks like works on the car park area. Wasn't too disappointed at even though the waves were quite small they were smashing into the rock wall and often spray coming over. Woke up Sunday morning feeling rather seedy after a comprehensive frothy-and-a-waffle session with mates and walked out into wind not quite as bad but with a bit of rain mixed in. Decided a long slow breakfast was a better option to settle the tummy before the drive out.

Anyway, had a great weekend with mates and will be back at some point to have a crack at what Apollo Bay has to offer. Thanks to all above for sharing info.

cheers
Steve

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:42 am

Sounds like a top weekend with some mates!
Hopefully you get a chance to wet a line next time :P
Cheers :thumbsup:

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”