Fishing report 7/1/2018

Cunningham Pier, Limeburners Lagoon
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Fishing report 7/1/2018

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Well its been awhile so I thought I would write a report.
I was supposed to write this up last night but by the time I got home it was way too late and I was just too tired.

So yesterday the missus and I decided to drive and fish somewhere in Geelong for a change.
We arrived at our spot at around 3 in the arvo and since we had luck catching good size leatherjackets when we were last there we decided to give that a go but all we kept getting were undersize sweep.

About 15 minutes later my missus points and I see a lot of birds diving into the water. It always gets me excited when I see this but like most times when land based fishing, the fish were out of range.
Not long after a boat comes by and starts circling and I can see them getting multiple hook ups and my missus encourages me to just give it a go.
So I go to my tackle box and tie on a silver halco in the 40 g size and whip it out as far as I can towards the diving birds.
To my surprise, first cast and I'm on and not long after up comes a 35 cm salmon.
A few casts later I'm hooked up again but this time I can feel its a better fish and lucky I decided to bring the heavier outfit as I was able to lift him up onto the pier. A nice fish measuring 48 cm.

After that I didn't have another hook up for awhile but eventually got onto another one. The missus decided to come and join me and was using a gold halco. The fish were swimming up and down past us. we would both get hook ups for around 5-10 minutes and then it would go quiet again. Then it would be on again and this repeated like this for quite some time.
Eventually some other people came to have a look and try their luck but they didn't have any metals or plastics.
A father and son came and tried their luck but once again didn't have any metals. The father started getting frustrated and yelling at his son and telling him to shut up when the boy asked him for some help. He was clearly getting frustrated because he wasn't able to fish with his son nagging him with this and that. The boy only looked like he was around 10. Why bring him fishing then I thought???
So I let the young boy use my outfit so that he could catch a few and he was just so excited. I had to help him lift the fish onto the pier as he struggled with some as they tried to go under the pier. The look on his face was priceless.

All in all it was a great fun afternoon. Just before writing this report I gave half a dozen to my 92 year old neighbor who said he would cook some up for dinner tonight. Also gave some to my dad and my sister and her husband as well. I kept a few for a feed and a few for bait as well.

salmon 2.jpg

Salmon1.jpg

Cheers,
Lx

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Fishing report 7/1/2018

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Good work mate, great little fighters Salmon are. Shame about the kid with his old man, they need encouragement and support so they keep on fishing!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Good haul
Well done

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Good stuff Lightningx sounds like a great session.

Hats off to you for giving the young bloke a chance to catch a few fish. :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 pm

well done mate, birds diving is a welcome sight anyday id say hahahaha
good on you for lending the lad an outfit. always good to see them have a great time.
cheers

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Awesome session there mate and kudo's for helping the kid out :thumbsup:

TheGreatestGoat

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Awesome! Nothing better than smashing a few sambos

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:Good work mate, great little fighters Salmon are. Shame about the kid with his old man, they need encouragement and support so they keep on fishing!
Cheers mate. Yea it really annoyed me seeing that. At least I was able to put a smile on his face.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:20 pm

smile0784 wrote:Good haul
Well done
Cheers mate

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Well done LX on the catch and more importantly the effort to help out. :a_goodjob:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Geelong - Corio Bay”