New to the area and fishing

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Fiddler

New to the area and fishing

Post by Fiddler » Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 am

Hi all

I am a new to the area and to fishing & boating. We have a holiday house in Port Arlington that I am trying to get to more often, so I bought a 4.2 Mt open boat with a 1959 65hp Mercury. The guy I took it to to get it serviced just shook his head in despair. I had no idea how to do anything, but after 4 trips out now,I am starting to get a little more confident. So far we have left the bung out, run aground a few times & got swamped and couldn't work the throttle & gear shift out so couldn't get to any speed over 5 knots.
The last trip we actually did a bit of fishing and got a dozen flattys and a Banjo Shark. First fish I have caught since I was a kid (many years ago).
Now I am looking for a few tip as to where some good spots might be. I would like to get some Whiting & Squid and eventually I would love to catch a few snapper. I launch at teh Point Richards ramp.
Any advice owuld be well received.
Thanks

KgWhiting

Re: New to the area and fishing

Post by KgWhiting » Wed May 02, 2018 8:06 am

Wow a 4.2m with a 65hp

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 am

With point Richards make sure u follow the channel in and out and watch the big sandbar straight out from ramp it stretches for quite a few Kay's out

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 am

Mate...I'm going to keep an eye out for your posts, I have a feeling you are going to have some great stories. Any chance you could post a picture of your boat?

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 am

I would suggest using st.leonards ramp,dont have to worry about sand bars and all the species u mentioned are available at the right time and tide
Good luck

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am

Yes we found that on Trip no 3. Left the ramp and turned right. Spent the next 3 mins pushing along with the oars to get into deeper water.
Found it again on the way home !! I had a look on the Nearmaps sight when I got back and it all made sense!

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks for this. I will preserve for a while at the Point Richards as our house is only 1/2 km from there. I will make ST Leonards my next stop if I get nowhere in the meantime.

Thanks.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am

Download Navionics on your phone mate.

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 am

STriplett1997 wrote:Download Navionics on your phone mate.
Thanks - will do.

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed May 02, 2018 10:55 am

I'd do some research online or on the forum to make sure you got the rights rigs/setup for the species your chasing, as a rough guide, things like;
Snatchers for Whiting
2.5 - 3.5 Jigs for Squid
Light Running Sinkers for Pinkies/Snapper

The correct Rods/Reels also help - budget permitting of course..

Try to use as fresh as baits as possible;
Pippies or Tenderized Squid for Whiting
Pilchards, Squid, etc.. for Pinkies/Snapper

Look at seasons;
Whiting: Still getting a few, getting late in the season - Pinkies: Definitely worth a target, particularly at sunrise - sunset - I'm getting them at 7-8m around structure in the bay, i'd imagine it would be quite similar out that way..

You'll find lots of resources on the areas to fish as well, i just did a general search for St Leonards Whiting and the first thing that came up was the area in front of Bourke Street, you'll see a lot of boats there. Drift till you find the fish and anchor & burley if/when you do..

& you could always find some more experienced fisho's in the area or from here and shadow them out - with permission of course, or be a deckie for a few trips.. Everyone was inexperienced at one stage but i'd hate for something more serious to go wrong - & it can..

Good Luck..
Az.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”