St Leonard’s looking to be a nice night.

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
soulstar
Has liked: 6 times

St Leonard’s looking to be a nice night.

Post by soulstar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:44 pm

So, it appears that St Leonard’s will have pretty light winds tonight! Also it will be a very low tide with high tide at 6am. Thinking of heading down try for squid!

Anyone else thinking the same? It has been a while since I went out to wet a line! Also been wanting to catch the many pike iv seen swimming about at night or perhaps it’s snook! Not sure but folk believe with a float and small line to hook you can catch them! They do skim above the surface a lot so sounds like a logical formula!

Still I’ll be happy with a few squid! Wish me luck lads! ;)

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: St Leonard’s looking to be a nice night.

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:52 pm

soulstar wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:44 pm
So, it appears that St Leonard’s will have pretty light winds tonight! Also it will be a very low tide with high tide at 6am. Thinking of heading down try for squid!

Anyone else thinking the same? It has been a while since I went out to wet a line! Also been wanting to catch the many pike iv seen swimming about at night or perhaps it’s snook! Not sure but folk believe with a float and small line to hook you can catch them! They do skim above the surface a lot so sounds like a logical formula!

Still I’ll be happy with a few squid! Wish me luck lads! ;)
Good luck!
I've caught a pike with soft plastic before, give it a try.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:19 pm

I was there last night, a few whiting about, only small squid taken but they were around in numbers, the pike / snook were under the big light as usual but not taking anything, no lures or any sort of bait. All the action was on the incoming tide the out going tide was painfully slow for bites.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 am

hornet wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:19 pm
I was there last night, a few whiting about, only small squid taken but they were around in numbers, the pike / snook were under the big light as usual but not taking anything, no lures or any sort of bait. All the action was on the incoming tide the out going tide was painfully slow for bites.
How weird is that! The pike/snook never take anything here it’s weird! However, yet to see anyone here using soft plastics! I’m just using 2 rods at the moment! Both paternoster rigging. One with snapper hooks 6/0 and the other manic hook 4/0 for flat head. I’m using a 3rd for squid!

There is about a 20 heads here! Big group by the light chasing squid (as usual) only...upgraded with a 3 man tent!

They are catching squid too! Still the nights young at approx 1:30am. Cmon down fishos! Weathers light. Kinda warm breeze and calm waters! Come wet a line :)

Signing off!

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:44 am

5:39am packed up and ready for the 1.5hr drive to the west side. No fish caught from what I seen apart from the few small squid you catch under the popular light! Only one other guy got squid further up the pier on the dark end. However very small. Although, I had 2 bites on diffrent occasions with blue bait. Found fresh squid strip left behind and tried that with no luck (or bite)

All in all was a like warm night and will be back to give it a go when I can! Till then, if anyone comes out here please post! I’m always keen to hear how st Leonard’s pier is producing! :)

Signing off :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:59 am

Good report mate
Bigger about no fish but that's fishing

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”