Who’s up for squid at st leonards Pier 2morro

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
soulstar
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Who’s up for squid at st leonards Pier 2morro

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Snook his mrs and mate as well as myself, went out again early this morning! Fished from 3:30am till 7:30am. Only a few on the bite! Water was very calm (and very low). Murky conditions! 3 of us with 2.5 jigs! And we had 4 floats between us with whiting on spikes! At about 4:45am or so....my rod (float) was screaming! I picked it up and was reeling in somthing heavy when it went for another run! Then the line came loose and as I brought it up the whiting was smashed and my spikes bent out of place! I now ponder what the hell I may have had potentially caught! I’ll never know but it was heavy and pretty certain it wasn’t a squid! 99% sure! Anyone have any ideas?

On another note! Snook landed one nice sized squid as the sun came up! Very happy at least one of us left with a catch!

Snooks Italian coffee machine was great too :)

Till next time mr and mrs snook! ....Great sesh! :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Sounds like fun mate!
You guys are doing well down there!
I’ve been fishing many times too and always wondered what it might have been!

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Anyone know if the St. Leonards boat ramp is free yet???

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Millzee wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:17 pm
Anyone know if the St. Leonards boat ramp is free yet???
Not by the list on Better boating Victoria
That side of the bay seems to be last
Gra

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm

soulstar wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 pm
Snook his mrs and mate as well as myself, went out again early this morning! Fished from 3:30am till 7:30am. Only a few on the bite! Water was very calm (and very low). Murky conditions! 3 of us with 2.5 jigs! And we had 4 floats between us with whiting on spikes! At about 4:45am or so....my rod (float) was screaming! I picked it up and was reeling in somthing heavy when it went for another run! Then the line came loose and as I brought it up the whiting was smashed and my spikes bent out of place! I now ponder what the hell I may have had potentially caught! I’ll never know but it was heavy and pretty certain it wasn’t a squid! 99% sure! Anyone have any ideas?

On another note! Snook landed one nice sized squid as the sun came up! Very happy at least one of us left with a catch!

If I had to guess I'd say it was a seven Gillar or large ray, there's a few over that side, If I'm not mistaken dennis the whiting killer got a large Gillar last year...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 pm

hornet wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm
soulstar wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say it was a seven Gillar or large ray, there's a few over that side, If I'm not mistaken dennis the whiting killer got a large Gillar last year...
To be honest! When I was retrieving, I thought it was a shark! especially because it just ran (reel screams) I set drag tighter and after another big run it came off! Reeled it up and there was little to no whiting left! My spikes where all in different directions!

But yeah I’d guess a Gillar or stingray too! It was deadweight! Can’t say I felt head shakes either, guess I’ll just never ever know!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:44 am

soulstar wrote:

Snook his mrs and mate as well as myself, went out again early this morning!

What a great report soulstar, filled me with envy.

Don't know what the rest of Victorian's Fishermen are doing BUT I'd be with you guys, that is what fishing is all about, you guys rock, you really do.

They can have Snapper Season, I've even been invited Bluewater fishing for Tuna and declined but if I was in Victoria, I'd be with you guys. The Italian Coffee Machine is a perfect touch

And that screaming hook up is a great Fishing Story, to be told for ever, especially in the nursing home

Soulstar 1.PNG

Soulstar 2.PNG

Soulstar 3.PNG

Soulstar 4.PNG

Cheers, Bugs

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am

Bugatti,

I love your sense of humour! However disappointed you declined the tuna fishing! You definitely would have had some stories to share if you attended!

Your commentary pics made me laugh! That will be me one day I’m sure of it!

Hopefully will share another report once I can get my hands on a boat! Snapper season will soon arrive! :)

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

Might be Sammy the Seal, he normally never takes a whiting on a squid spike but if you had a squid already on it then he will not hesitate to snatch it and you won't even see him comming. I've seen this happen many times before.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am

Kenle wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am
Might be Sammy the Seal, he normally never takes a whiting on a squid spike but if you had a squid already on it then he will not hesitate to snatch it and you won't even see him comming. I've seen this happen many times before.
Given it was a super low tide I would have heard him splashing about I reckon! However, iv never seen Sammy at st leonards pier before so who knows!

Does the big black stingray have a name though? She/he has a lot of scars and marks on her dark back! Looks really old! I’d put my money on her! When seals take your squid they eat it lying on their back on the surface and considering my line was less than 20 metres out I don’t think it was a seal!

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”