Who’s up for squid at st leonards Pier 2morro

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
soulstar
Has liked: 6 times

Who’s up for squid at st leonards Pier 2morro

Post by soulstar » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Hello Lads,

So winds are looking light “all day” tomorrow! High tides are at convenient times in the morning and late afternoon. :)

Anyone else thinking of coming down for a session?

Sounds tempting right? Hot tip squid are attacking gold jigs atm if that helps! I know some may debate it doesn’t matter what colour, shape, size ect but thought I’d mention it for any folk that do pay attention to this type of thing! :victory: :o_0:

Also, if anyone knows about the light pole being out of action I mentioned in the previous topic I posted and have updates about whether they plan on fixing it let me know.

Either way iv logged a job with power core so they should look into it within 7 business Days!
I know that light has helped MANY anglers catch a few in one session at night.

Anyways hope to see some of you out there as the next few days will be uncomfortable weather to say the least!

I’ll post my successes tomorrow too #watchThisSpace
:water:
Attachments
DEDF6427-4D17-4AA0-AAF2-5D8FB8E9F5E8.jpeg
Squid
Last edited by soulstar on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

soulstar

Re: Who’s up for squid at st leonards Pier 2morro

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:39 am

So, arrived at 5am with rod and jig ready to go! Water was murky however, didn’t stop them from biting! Landed the first one in 15min then a second at 5:25am. Went quiet for 30 mins then caught another two by 6am! Only 3 of us on the pier all morning!
Also, congrats to Rick who put in countless hours fishing from 11pm last night to later in the morning catching his first “ever” squid...then his 2nd one was a Monster!

Current was a it strong after 6:30am but water is currently very calm and glassy ;)

I have uploaded a picture of my catch - maybe that will get some posts/responses flowing in!

Signing off.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 am

Wow, some nice catch, nice weather too.
Unfortunately I have to work! Been in my plan for few weeks now to head to St Leonards.
Any whiting?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:53 am

Soulstar (I gave you a capital "S" because I think you are worth it :super: )

Nice post and report :thumbsup: Great catch too, the squid look nice and tidy too. A friendly invite is always appreciated, sad I'm in SA, because I would have loved to have been there and cast over you after you caught your first squid :-D

And yes, I agree, size matters and colour too, depending on the conditions

Great to see you logged a job with the light pole people, instead of , , , , not, like most would have.

Cheers Bugatti , , , , intrigued by mystery man "Rick" ;-)

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:24 am

Nice work! Ive been meaning to check out that side of the bay for a while now.
:thumbsup:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:34 am

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:15 am
Wow, some nice catch, nice weather too.
Unfortunately I have to work! Been in my plan for few weeks now to head to St Leonards.
Any whiting?
Nah no whiting caught! Only 3 of us on the pier and Rick had 1 or 2 rods going but was catching banjos I believe! Only hook ups were squid! However, few boats out in the distance and kayaks so who knows what they were getting with clear calm waters after 6:30am.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:38 am

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:53 am
Soulstar (I gave you a capital "S" because I think you are worth it :super: )

Nice post and report :thumbsup: Great catch too, the squid look nice and tidy too. A friendly invite is always appreciated, sad I'm in SA, because I would have loved to have been there and cast over you after you caught your first squid :-D

And yes, I agree, size matters and colour too, depending on the conditions

Great to see you logged a job with the light pole people, instead of , , , , not, like most would have.

Cheers Bugatti , , , , intrigued by mystery man "Rick" ;-)
Cheers Bugatti,

Rick was the guy that caught his first squid haha! He said he was there since 11pm the night before and he caught a big sized squid for his second catch! Real proud of him I can only assume he’ll be back soon and we’ll cross paths for another session!

Tried to encourage him to register here because he reads the posts

The light pole I’m hoping they get onto that because it helps with squiding at night! Fingers crossed I’ll chase it up after the 7 business days

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:41 am

Nice catch there soul!
Well done mate :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:44 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:24 am
Nice work! Ive been meaning to check out that side of the bay for a while now.
:thumbsup:
You really have to head down! I use to go to flinders pier and stony point (great locations) however subject to lose your jigs and rod on occasion haha! At st leonards you rarely ever snag unless you manage to get it stuck under pylons or the pier itself!

Also the water breeds life and schools of trevally or salmon, pike, even pinkies, grass whiting, flathead or garfish can be seen at night! Large stingray patrols too! If you google st leonards their is a guy that snorkels day and night sessions and has professional pictures of the different wildlife he encounters!

I’m literally (hooked) on the place! However I’d like to try Clifton springs extended revamped pier! Heard it’s good.

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 pm

After work I Might head down for a short afternoon session! Who’s joining? Again, I posted last night - the gold/orange jig worked a treat on Friday and they also produced for me this morning! 2.5g models are the go too!

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”