Lake Purrembete report

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
robbo101

Lake Purrembete report

Post by robbo101 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Yesterday at lunchtime I decided to give Purrembete a crack doing some quick research and finding out camping at the caravan park was only $13 per head and with petrol prices being so easy on the wallet I jumped in the car and a comfy 2 hours with a quick stop and we rolled into the park.
Quiet place with mostly fishos in the park and a ramp right in the middle.
Now to the fishing!
I had intentions just to trawl (considering I had no bait!) I fished from 5pm to 10pm and got 2 small salmon on the down rigger, missed 2 again from the down rigger, Pretty sure I didn't set the hooks well enough and when it hit the surface, jumped and self released..... (crap!!!!!!!) Surface lure didn't get a touch. Had a pink #55 tassie on the rigger.
Up again early this morning and on the water at 5:30. To no surprise the down rigger doing the damage, picking up another 3 before 9:30am. Mostly I set the rigger between 15 and 20m (pretty much where the fish on the sounder were showing up.
After 10am things really shut down, not many fish on the sounder and didn't get a touch for the rest of the day.
However at around 11 I went right to the edge and tried casting amongst the reeds and had one (not sure what) follow for a while but it lost interest and went back into the weeds.
I heard amongst the other anglers somebody caught a stack of reddies but not sure what on.
The most effective seemed to be fishing mud eye down deep according to locals.
Worth the trip in my eyes and pretty happy to get a few small ones!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.17 KiB) Viewed 811 times

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Lake Purrembete report

Post by barra mick » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Nice report.at least you caught something

Andyk who is a gun on that lake is struggling for fish atm so you did well

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:35 pm

Nice report and nice work mate. Never caught a chinook but they're definitely a cool lookin fish.

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for the report, sounds like a good trip
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 am

Great report I havent been to purumbete in 15 years love the chinooks taste great smoked, I gotta buy a tinny

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Nice lake,purrembete,havn't been there in years,your report gives me an urge to go.I allways did well on scrub or earth worms.Just put 5-6 worms on your hook.Also a nice caravan park there,my wife and i used to stay in a cabin there for a few days.Well worth it,a tinnie would be a bonus.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:05 pm

gregmaka wrote:Nice lake,purrembete,havn't been there in years,your report gives me an urge to go.I allways did well on scrub or earth worms.Just put 5-6 worms on your hook.Also a nice caravan park there,my wife and i used to stay in a cabin there for a few days.Well worth it,a tinnie would be a bonus.
its a very nice park...good ramp...good prices.

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Going down tommorw i just got back from 8days on the murry and are going to chase the bigger salmon at bullen merri good report . The little salmon give me the s#$ts at the beat but if you troll minno under the surface 6ft early in morn good chance of a brown once the sun hits the water go deep and by 10 go in for a cuppa cos its normaly all over until evening .

Ps . The 6ft thing is to clear the weed only its only my opinion but if you flat line you will have weed run down to your lure or bait .

Return to “Other Species”