Bungies Hole - Werribee

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
PhaseScope

Bungies Hole - Werribee

Post by PhaseScope » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:45 pm

G'day ladies and gents.

First post and I thought I'd make it a bit of a spot report. As a bit of an intro I'm pretty new to fishing (just got started "properly" a few months back) and I've been going down to Werribee South boat ramp a bit over the last few weeks. Not a single anything apart from something that bit the tail clean off a plastic I had on the go, and I saw one bloke pull a little Bream out. That was it over the course of 4 weeks or so.

I was going through the forums today and found a post by thraze about Bungies Hole down near me in Werribee and thought I'd have a crack after work. Can of corn, lazy carp, what could be easier? Apart from a few fish here and there on trips away with the boys, I've never hooked anything on my own gear and after the lack of action down Werribee South was pretty keen to get onto something to give me even a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. That is what I got today.

I pulled up at the angling club and headed down to the waters edge for a quick look before dragging the gear out. Got talking to a bloke from the club who told me about another couple of spots around Werribee that I'll have to check out soon. Basically I was keen as a bean to get the line in and already I could see a few bubble trails close to the reeds and edges of the concrete. I chucked a few pieces of corn around where I had seen the bubbles and loaded up a hook.

At least an hour went by and I had copped a few nibbles but nothing that I was able to latch on to. I thought I'd try a slow lift instead of the little jerk action I was going with and BANG! WE'RE ON! This thing took it and ran. I thought I had the drag set tight enough but obviously not because it started screaming as this thing took off for the reeds. I managed to tighten the drag up just before it went to go behind the left bank and pulled it right back around to the front of the concrete. BUT, like an absolute true amateur, I forgot to take into account the fact that braid and concrete don't mix. I dropped the bastard just as I was about to pull him ashore.

I swore. Loudly.

I know chasing carp is probably the last thing on the to do list for most people but I had a ripper time this arvo. If you're looking for a bit of fun, I'd say get down to Bungies Hole and have a crack. I know I'll probably be there tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll have a photo or something. We'll see.

-Marcus

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Bungies Hole - Werribee

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Mate the excitement is the same wether its a carp or a marlin any good fish still makes me weak at the knees welcome to the forum tight lines

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Welcome!

PhaseScope wrote: I know chasing carp is probably the last thing on the to do list for most people
I think you'll get on just fine with Cornacarpio and Big Gav
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 am

Hi there! :-D welcome to the forum :banana:

walbanga
Has liked: 1 time

Post by walbanga » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 am

Hi - nothing wrong with chasing carp. Great fun on light gear - I spend hours chasing them in the local creeks when Im visiting family in the North East.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:56 am

Welcome to the forum and a great first report! :welcome2:

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:02 pm

Nice one.. great report and welcome to the forum.

I didnt even know about that place so i might head down there one afternoon too when i get a chance.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Welcome
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:10 pm

:welcome2: To FV :welcome2: Nothing wrong with chasing carp, where I fish these days that's all I seem to catch, but who cares they fight like hell on light tackle.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:15 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:Nice one.. great report and welcome to the forum.

I didnt even know about that place so i might head down there one afternoon too when i get a chance.
I didn't either and haven't caught a carp in ages so thinking of giving it a go as well :)

Return to “Other Species”