Best Line for Trout (lures)

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Best Line for Trout (lures)

Post by ecoronad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 pm

stick to fireline crystal. I have been using them (smoke/green) since it was only fireline and spiderwire available on the market - a long time ago. 'why fix something that isn't broken?' Stiff to start with, but becomes supple very quickly.

Personally I prefer using fluorocarbon leader. Best thing about using a leader is that using the same reel with 6lb fireline, you can target yellas using a metre of 12lb fluorocarbon or trout using 50cm of 4lb. I know everyone raves on about the fg knot, but ive found a simple 3 turn surgeon's knot is fine for 6lb fireline. if I get a snag, it usually breaks at the knot.

Another positive thing about fused fireline at the moment is that most retailers are selling them out cheaply in preparation for the next generation of lines - eg PE 8 etc. I was lucky enough to pick some up for $10 when anaconda were clearing out some old stock. Hope that helps.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:19 am

My opinion - 4lb Maxima Green - Been using on trout for years - Great for spinning and Bait fishing - if you are not sure what suits you, buy several different makes (100mtr spools) and try each until you find one you like.

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:56 am

For what its worth im in Robbies corner here, mono all the way. I use platypus pre test 2kg for small creeks streams etc. And if fishing larger rivers like Mitta, Goulburn, Thredbo Eucumbene etc will go to 3kg or even 4kg when appropriate

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 am

I use Platypus Super 100 clear mono 4 lb and have found it quite good, also have been trying the following KastKing mono, copolymer & fluorokote clear lines in 4 lb and have not had any problems with it either.. I'm sure you'll find one that will suit you soon enough.. I've tried quite a lot of mono lines over the years and so far the ones I've mentioned have been the best ..
Cheers
Adrian
s-l1600 (1) (Small).jpg
KastKing clear mono..
s-l1600 (1) (Small).jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 928 times
s-l1600 (2) (Small).jpg
KastKing Copolymer line
s-l1600 (2) (Small).jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 928 times
s-l1600 (Small).jpg
KastKing Fluorokote line
s-l1600 (Small).jpg (42.2 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Last edited by meppstas on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I fish with a pe 0.6 (tasline atm) braid for trout, mainly because I use plastics regularly and with how slow my rod is it didn't set hooks with a mono mainline.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Imo....when i use braid i think you need a long leader .i use eithier 4 or 8 pd braid and then black magic leader.i like having at least 1.5 meter off leader....

No preference to what type ....i just use that black magic leader cause i use it on fish like barra and kingfish and has never let me down....so have never changed.

I also troll and spin with mono.

I also use the maxima green mono....i have no issues with it

For years i was like 80 /20 over mono but its back to 50/50 these days

Bm

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

My original thinking was that, for trout, mono was the way to go if say fishing lakes or still pools with mudeyes or any sort of lure. In clear water with plenty of time to check things out line visibility would be a factor.

But with spinning faster flowing streams with something like a celta the visibility would be much less of a factor. In this situation a stealthy approach and accurate presentation of the lure I thought would be a much bigger factor and so thin fused braid wouldn't be an issue. It sounds like most people think a leader should be used with the braid.

I definitely don't like the feel of the Suffix mono with SPs, it just doesn't feel right. You need to feel what is going on with the SP particularly subtle movement.

The solution is to have several spools to change lines to suit what I am doing. I already have two spools set up for my Mitchell 300, light line for trout and reddies, heavier for yellas and cod. I'll will set up two light line spools, one mono and one braid. That should cover all options.

One last question. How do you rate the Suffix mono? Is it not that different from the other mono lines suggested? Does somebody have specific reasons that makes the Maxima, Trilene, Platypus or Cast King much better than Suffix? If there is a clear view I'll get rid of the brand new Suffix and try another.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Truedogz

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I like to use gosen mebarin pe in 5lb, it’s super thin and great casting all day. I also use fluro on a trout out fit with Unitika Silver Thread as it doesn’t have too much stretch in it.

Like Meptass I’ve also been a fan of the super 100 line.
quid est quod eum

Return to “Other Species”