Worth targeting Redfin at night?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
aussie_fisho

Worth targeting Redfin at night?

Post by aussie_fisho » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Been hitting up one of the local creeks for Reddies, fishing mainly 1-2hrs before sunset and having some luck, just curious to know if it’s worth sticking around any longer and fishing while dark. From what I’ve experienced as soon as The Sun goes down the bites stop for me, just want to see if the same goes for others. Flicking little soft plastics and hardbodies btw
Cheers Aussie :thumbsup:

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Worth targeting Redfin at night?

Post by Truedogz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi Aussie

The simple answer is no. In general it is understood that redfin usually don't feed after dark, which is quite unusual for a predatory fish. Perhaps it has something to do with the predators they evolved with in the UK.

Redfin feed aggressively in dim light, but once it is pitch dark they shut up. I've kept them in tanks and at night they were always asleep, compared to fish like cod and maccas which were on the prowl.Having grown up at a time when there were a lot more of them around (1960s to 70s) I can only recall catching two fish after dark, both on worms.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Worth targeting Redfin at night?

Post by Boonanza » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Pretty much what Truedogz said they don't normally bite after dark. The only place I have caught them after dark was lake eildon.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Other Species”