Does Trout Fishing Stop in Stocked Lakes When the Season has Ended

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
LachyBell

Does Trout Fishing Stop in Stocked Lakes When the Season has Ended

Post by LachyBell » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Does Trout Fishing Stop in Stocked Lakes When the Season has Ended? I know multiple lakes that still stock them. Me and my mates want to go to Lilydale or Rowville these holidays but are we not allowed to catch trout.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Does Trout Fishing Stop in Stocked Lakes When the Season has Ended

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Lakes remain open year round mate.

drewb

Post by drewb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:11 pm

I reckon you could have typed half as many words into google and you would've got an answer in 15 seconds...

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Don’t know why trout need a closed season.

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm

rb85 wrote:Don’t know why trout need a closed season.
Trout have a closed season so they have a chance to spawn in rivers and streams. They will not spawn in still waters such as lakes and impoundments so these do not have a closed season. They have a closed season so they aren't bothered while trying to procreate. I'm pretty sure you don't like to be bothered while you are trying to procreate! :banana:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm

drewb wrote:I reckon you could have typed half as many words into google and you would've got an answer in 15 seconds...

Or checked the regs in the app or book, they really are something ppl should keep handy, especially the younger ones just getting into fishing.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Duffman wrote:
rb85 wrote:Don’t know why trout need a closed season.
Trout have a closed season so they have a chance to spawn in rivers and streams. They will not spawn in still waters such as lakes and impoundments so these do not have a closed season. They have a closed season so they aren't bothered while trying to procreate. I'm pretty sure you don't like to be bothered while you are trying to procreate! :banana:
I’m aware that the closed season is when they are spawning but I still don’t know why a introduced species requires any protection.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 pm

rb85 wrote:I’m aware that the closed season is when they are spawning but I still don’t know why a introduced species requires any protection.
Because they are a desireable species both from a sporting and eating point of view and also co-exist with native species in many waterways. The whole native is good and introduced is bad dogma is nonsense.

drewb

Post by drewb » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
rb85 wrote:I’m aware that the closed season is when they are spawning but I still don’t know why a introduced species requires any protection.
Because they are a desireable species both from a sporting and eating point of view and also co-exist with native species in many waterways. The whole native is good and introduced is bad dogma is nonsense.
Exactly right. Trout fishing and the tourism around it has a massive financial benefit for plenty of country towns.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:01 pm

drewb wrote:
Stumpjumper wrote:
Exactly right. Trout fishing and the tourism around it has a massive financial benefit for plenty of country towns.
Theres obviously a few things we disagree on but we don't entirely disagree.

Having spent many years fly fishing for trout once upon a time I was an advocate for closed seasons etc my views have shifted in that regard. Theres so many trout in our waterways and they are an aggressive dominant species in most places they are prevalent and are under no threat from disappearing out of Victorian or Australian waters that there is really no reason to stop anglers from catching a few in closed season.

Being an aggressive predator species such as Australian Grayling and River Blackfish would have suffered due to trout sharing their habitat. The VFA even admit this on their website. There needs to be a shift away from the focus of trout as the premier freshwater species they are good to catch etc that will never change but theres no need to be overly protective of a species thats thriving and can be readily stocked in impoundments that aren't natural bodies of water.

Return to “Other Species”