Dargo River

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
davek
Has liked: 268 times

Dargo River

Post by davek » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Anyone fished the Dargo River area of late, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Hosery

Re: Dargo River

Post by Hosery » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Haven’t fished the Dargo for a while. Was up there few weeks ago but just driving through. This time of the year I normally like to fish the Mitchell around Lindenow and Glenaladale area. Plenty of snow melt in the rivers. I’m assuming your obviously talking trout

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:30 am

Yes Hosery, someone mentioned it yesterday and Looked at the area on google, it looks pretty good, bonus is my brother lives at Lindenow Sth so if I needed a base that would be handy ( to dump the missus off), cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

virbull

Post by virbull » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Fished it back over QB Weekend. Spent a week up there. Been doing QB Weekend with my best mate since 1990. Did pretty well this year with quite a few browns, both upper and lower Dargo. Mate caught a big 2 1/2lb brown on lure at Collins Flat. This hole at the top of the flat is our favourite fishing spot and almost always manages to provide some action. Did a day trip over to the Mitta Mitta above the blue duck. We always do a day trip over there or on the crooked above Talbotville. The Mitta looked great, running clear and cold but yielded nothing.

I'm fortunate in that my parents own a property up there in Upper Dargo. If you know the property with the stone house and the log cattleman's hut just after Italian Flat, that's the spot. A better place to go fishing i have not found. Looking forward to getting back up there after this lockdown. Trout season opens tomorrow and I'm ready to go.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:25 pm

virbull wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:03 pm
Fished it back over QB Weekend. Spent a week up there. Been doing QB Weekend with my best mate since 1990. Did pretty well this year with quite a few browns, both upper and lower Dargo. Mate caught a big 2 1/2lb brown on lure at Collins Flat. This hole at the top of the flat is our favourite fishing spot and almost always manages to provide some action. Did a day trip over to the Mitta Mitta above the blue duck. We always do a day trip over there or on the crooked above Talbotville. The Mitta looked great, running clear and cold but yielded nothing.

I'm fortunate in that my parents own a property up there in Upper Dargo. If you know the property with the stone house and the log cattleman's hut just after Italian Flat, that's the spot. A better place to go fishing i have not found. Looking forward to getting back up there after this lockdown. Trout season opens tomorrow and I'm ready to go.
I also had a trip up there in May, didn't manage anything over a pound but still great fishing, and before that an even better trip in December, where it was non stop action at times and I even managed a few rainbows. I might be mistaken but I think trout season opens on the 4th this year.

virbull

Post by virbull » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:27 pm

Rainbows? In the Dargo? Are you sure? Unheard of. I am always up there in December for Xmas/New year and don't normally fish then as it is dead so I am surprised you had such a good trip. What were you catching them on and what time of day etc? I grew up there in the 60's. Dad was the teacher so we lived in that little timber home next to the school. Dad fished a lot back then and never caught Rainbow even back then. There were reports of Rainbows being caught on the Wentworth but I've never seen them there.

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm

These are the two I took home, caught them on spinners, the bottom one is a rainbow. Spoke to a guy while I was up there who said they are usually around in September, fished all through the day but the best time was morning and evening. I was equally surprised when I caught them.
Attachments
BF88268C-D797-4C65-ACEC-DAF0D3A2D8EB.jpeg

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 pm

Just checked the VFA website and it doesn't say anything about rainbows being in there which surprises me.

virbull

Post by virbull » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:50 pm

Yep, that's a Rainbow for sure...... Spotted tail. Well, I'll be $%#@ed. Some incentive for future trips.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm
These are the two I took home, caught them on spinners, the bottom one is a rainbow. Spoke to a guy while I was up there who said they are usually around in September, fished all through the day but the best time was morning and evening. I was equally surprised when I caught them.
I've spent years fishing it from the 90s to 2010...I never caught a rainbow....but that is one rainbow in the picture.

Cheers bm

Return to “Other Species”