The great 'monster' trout debate!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
nato28

Re: The great 'monster' trout debate!

Post by nato28 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am

Great question. My personal and completely unqualified opinion is I would love to see more stocking of natives rather than introduced species. Granted the stocking of trout is great to get people out fishing but I think the shock of putting that amount of fish to a system has to have an effect even if only in the short term. I think it should be kept to enclosed catchments where it's not going to be to the detriment of the local (native) stocks.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:16 am

All of those fish look so tired .
Good retirement post puppy mill.
I dont like trout stocking , but I wouldnt say no to a 15lb bow.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

bunsen

Post by bunsen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am

I caught one below Molesworth last Sunday; went 58 cms but was all head and a very skinny, poor conditioned fish given that they were released less than 2 weeks ago. These fish have been raised in their own private swimming pool and fed daily; they cannot survive in the wild and will not compete with the normal wild-caught species. Also managed 3 Rainbows/Brown in excess of 30 cms and these fought, jumped all over the place- no comparison with the ex-brood fish.
These fish are essentially only for the kids to catch and have fun.

sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Post by sirsquidalot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm

i was up the Goulburn on Monday and Tuesday last week after opening and saw at least five head fished washed up, don't think they handled the change so well. me personally i'd like to catch smaller wild trout rather than stocked monsters.

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Went up to the Thornton the other weekend, not only did i not catch a 12lb pond fish, but all the wild trout seemed to have shut down.

brybry

Post by brybry » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:53 am

My thinking is that the vast majority of these fish will be gone within a month or two anyway. They are big, slow and dumb. They do not know how to hunt for their own food and are suckers for a lure that drifts past their nose.

They have got fat by being hand fed in still ponds. The energy it will take just to maintain a holding position in the raging Goulburn current will cause them to lose condition pretty quickly.

Those that do manage to adapt will probably feed off smaller wild trout in the river as I don’t think the food source in the Goulburn is sufficiently large enough to sustain them.

So, towards the end of the season, most won’t be around however the wild trout population might take a hammering as well. On the upside, those that do manage to survive to closed season will be producing massive amounts of eggs and fry.

Personally, I hope they don’t repeat the exercise as trying to find a quiet spot on the Goulburn all but impossible. Fishing for trout is as much about (how’s the) serenity and tranquility as it is about catching fish.

I’m not going to knock back catching a 15lb trout, but it will feel like I’m fishing at a fish farm. Will get more joy pulling a 35cm wild brown out of a small creek.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:37 am

The brood stock released would normally be sent off to the fish markets & end up on a table for dinner! It was a win for the fishers.
There are a number of studies from around the world on trout stocking and if it is successful, the common outcome is that the trout od this size are likely to survive for 3-5 months as they've been fed on pellets and may not have the survival skills of wild trout.

Goulburn Trout release

From Saturday 1 September 2018, the Goulburn River and Eildon Pondage will share in 2,000 massive rainbow trout weighing up to 4kgs to be stocked at 11 sites for trout opening.
They'll have a combined weight of 7 tonnes, which is the biggest ever 24-hour stocking event in Fisheries' history.
It’s all part of the free Goulburn Fishing Festival that celebrates the opening of trout rivers and the new season.

Its all part of the target 1 million to get us out & fishing! There'll always be arguments either way & the impact on a quiet days fishing on the goulburn. Good thing there is a few other choices of river to fish that will be quiet.
quid est quod eum

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:07 pm

I would be happy to catch one but I still don't see why we are not stocking natives.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:17 pm

frozenpod wrote:I would be happy to catch one but I still don't see why we are not stocking natives.
I think you'll find that the Victorian Fisheries has been doing a fairly good job with the stocking of native fish...

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... eases-2018

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes they are stocking natives but why stock trout at all. Would be better to just stock natives.

Return to “Other Species”