The great 'monster' trout debate!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Sinsemilla

Re: The great 'monster' trout debate!

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:39 pm

brybry wrote:My thinking is that the vast majority of these fish will be gone within a month or two anyway. They are big, slow and dumb. They do not know how to hunt for their own food and are suckers for a lure that drifts past their nose.

They have got fat by being hand fed in still ponds. The energy it will take just to maintain a holding position in the raging Goulburn current will cause them to lose condition pretty quickly.

Those that do manage to adapt will probably feed off smaller wild trout in the river as I don’t think the food source in the Goulburn is sufficiently large enough to sustain them.

So, towards the end of the season, most won’t be around however the wild trout population might take a hammering as well. On the upside, those that do manage to survive to closed season will be producing massive amounts of eggs and fry.

Personally, I hope they don’t repeat the exercise as trying to find a quiet spot on the Goulburn all but impossible. Fishing for trout is as much about (how’s the) serenity and tranquility as it is about catching fish.
I’m not going to knock back catching a 15lb trout, but it will feel like I’m fishing at a fish farm. Will get more joy pulling a 35cm wild brown out of a small creek.
Spot on mate

Return to “Other Species”