Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Post by Charles7 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Hit up the Upper Coliban today, fishing from 1:30 to 3:30 in the arvo. Caught a couple of small redfin on the same piece of worm in the first 5 minutes, then it went quiet for the next 2 hours except for the odd bite here and there. Was thinking of hitting up Lauriston after but was too lazy. Was wondering if anyone else fishes the water storages around Kyneton? I've been catching plenty of reddies but curious to know if anyone is taking anything else.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Post by Boonanza » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:04 pm

G'day Charles welcome to the site mate :thumbsup: There are quite a few of old fishvic members on here and some of us fish around that way. I was going to give Lauriston a go this saturday arvo/evening so it will be interesting to see how we go. It always fishes best in the last hour of light in the shallows just using spinners or celtas. You are welcome to meet up if you want. :water:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 pm

I heard from a mate who watches Talking Fishing :( that the minister for fishing announced that kayaks and electric powered craft will be allowed on Lauriston,Upper Coliban,Malmsbury and a few other places in the area some time this year??.I reckon Lauriston would be a ripper in a Yak.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Marty.A wrote:I heard from a mate who watches Talking Fishing :( that the minister for fishing announced that kayaks and electric powered craft will be allowed on Lauriston,Upper Coliban,Malmsbury and a few other places in the area some time this year??.I reckon Lauriston would be a ripper in a Yak.
Absolutely it would :thumbsup: The top end of the lake always had good fish but was a hell of a walk getting down there, a yak would be perfect as it's not that big of a lake.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:54 pm

That would be brilliant! I love those lakes but can only access a tiny portion. Hope it comes off.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:19 pm

benders wrote:That would be brilliant! I love those lakes but can only access a tiny portion. Hope it comes off.
I might just get myself a Yak if it all goes to plan :thumbsup: as I've fished Lauriston for many years and always thought it would be a great place to explore with a yak as the access to land based is as you said very limited. Some decent browns in there that have probably never seen a lure so I'm a bit excited if it happens.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Marty.A wrote:I heard from a mate who watches Talking Fishing :( that the minister for fishing announced that kayaks and electric powered craft will be allowed on Lauriston,Upper Coliban,Malmsbury and a few other places in the area some time this year??.I reckon Lauriston would be a ripper in a Yak.
Absolutely it would :thumbsup: The top end of the lake always had good fish but was a hell of a walk getting down there, a yak would be perfect as it's not that big of a lake.
Agree totally the lake is the perfect size for a yak you could launch it from the first road bend before the wall with heaps of room for cars to park.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:00 am

Charles7 wrote:Was thinking of hitting up Lauriston after but was too lazy. Was wondering if anyone else fishes the water storages around Kyneton? I've been catching plenty of reddies but curious to know if anyone is taking anything else.
I am from Kyneton, grew up on a sheep farm out of town. I used to fish the lakes a bit, for a mix of trout and redfin, but enjoyed exploring and fishing the local streams much more, where you could sight fish for 2-3lb brown trout and catch some pretty big redfin on occasions too. Lately they've taken the chainsaw to a lot of the willows tho, so not sure if the water gets too warm for the fish there now.

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 am

Boonanza wrote:G'day Charles welcome to the site mate :thumbsup: There are quite a few of old fishvic members on here and some of us fish around that way. I was going to give Lauriston a go this saturday arvo/evening so it will be interesting to see how we go. It always fishes best in the last hour of light in the shallows just using spinners or celtas. You are welcome to meet up if you want. :water:

Cheers Steve
I might be up and around that way on Saturday as well, will keep an eye out for any spin fishermen if I give Lauriston a suss :thumbsup:

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:18 am

Queasy wrote:
Charles7 wrote:Was thinking of hitting up Lauriston after but was too lazy. Was wondering if anyone else fishes the water storages around Kyneton? I've been catching plenty of reddies but curious to know if anyone is taking anything else.
I am from Kyneton, grew up on a sheep farm out of town. I used to fish the lakes a bit, for a mix of trout and redfin, but enjoyed exploring and fishing the local streams much more, where you could sight fish for 2-3lb brown trout and catch some pretty big redfin on occasions too. Lately they've taken the chainsaw to a lot of the willows tho, so not sure if the water gets too warm for the fish there now.
I've got my eyes on the Campaspe, Coliban, Deep Creek and Jacksons Creek but have yet to fish any of them. The Campaspe seems the most likely to my naked eye and looks relatively easy to access, wouldn't mind floating a few worms around there and seeing what strikes.

Return to “Other Species”