Werribee Trout

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
pertasonic12

Werribee Trout

Post by pertasonic12 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi all, recently moved to the Werribee area and was looking to chase some trout yet have no idea where to start. Any rivers or streams to try would be great. Im thinking of trying the Lerderderg river or Moorabool to start but any advice or a push in the right direction would be great. Thanks in advance.

Carpie1
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Werribee Trout

Post by Carpie1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 pm

I haven't fished the Lerderberg since I was a kid, I remember catching a few nice size browns out at the gorge, actually that's where I caught my first trout. I was recently told by the young bloke in the servo at the Marsh, they were picking up a few smaller size trout in the Blackwood area. And a young tradie I was talking to showed me photos of some nice size reddies he caught in the Werribee river just below the weir wall. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Cheers, Carpie1.

pertasonic12

Post by pertasonic12 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:11 pm

Carpie1 wrote:I haven't fished the Lerderberg since I was a kid, I remember catching a few nice size browns out at the gorge, actually that's where I caught my first trout. I was recently told by the young bloke in the servo at the Marsh, they were picking up a few smaller size trout in the Blackwood area. And a young tradie I was talking to showed me photos of some nice size reddies he caught in the Werribee river just below the weir wall. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Thanks, ive heard differing reports from lerderderg. Some say theres nothing in it since some flood in the past. The weir wall deffinitely will be gettinf some attention soon. Thanks for the advixe

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:33 pm

The Werribee river is stocked between the Werribee weir & Melton Reservoir.
It's damn hard to get to most of the river because you have to pass through private property (not all are friendly)
If you go down Leakes rd to Shannahans rd, turn left & you'll come to Sayers rd, straight in front of you is a gate, there's a track that runs to the river following the boundary of no.1 Shannahans rd (it's actually a road easement).
It's steep there, but to your left is the rail bridge that looks alright. The owners had highland cattle (not sure now) & I'm told they're docile.
I'm not sure what is to the right as, all my trips there were when I was waiting for a knee replacement.
If I was young and fit, I'd give that area a good go.
Cheers Gra

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:34 am

Not sure how willing you are to travel but you could try around Kyneton. I took a small rainbow at the Upper Coliban Reservoir maybe a month or two ago and I spoke to an angler who said he was doing very well catching trout on mudeye there. I was speaking to a bloke on Sunday who told me he's taken a few brown trout out of the Coliban River using corn, so that could be another option.

As far as the Werribee River is concerned, there is easy access at Exford Waters, although I'm not sure there's trout that far downstream as the park I am referring to sits below Melton Reservoir.

Return to “Other Species”