Cheeky Suburban Reddie

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Cheeky Suburban Reddie

Post by Charles7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:23 pm

Was planning a trip to Kyneton on Sunday but unfortunately my girlfriend decided that we were going to dinner at a friend's house in Mill Park and wanted me to drop her off and pick her up from work. Not one to be deterred too easily,I ran a few Google searches and settled on a little suburban lake between her place and her work. It was a new spot for me in a suburb I've driven through only a handful of times, so I was unsure of what to expect. What greeted me upon arrival was a little discouraging to say the least.

A trolley may not be the most shocking thing to be dumped in an urban duck pond, but what I found next was a little more interesting.

There were two more trolleys and a tyre that looked like it belonged on a monster truck sitting in the lake. To be honest, I was a little embarrassed to have pulled out the rod and reel in front of all the dog-walkers and joggers, but I had driven half an hour to get there, so I wasn't going to call it a day so quickly.

I started with worms under a float, which I quickly got very bored of. Self-conscious, I changed tactics and tied a jighead to my line, fishing with a black and gold squidgy. Walking the along the shoreline, I aimed to cover as much water as possible, but found the lure almost impossible to see in the murk. With more than an hour to kill before my girlfriend clocked off, I opted for a bright pink 3" power minnow by Berkley Gulp. Casting and retrieving from beside the trolley, I had almost reeled the SP back to my feet when I had a hit, the rod tip shaking violently. Stunned that I had hooked something other than another empty bread bag, I reeled faster, but missed landing the fish. I immediately cast again and just a few metres from the bank, almost at my feet, I got another strike, this time with a successful hook-up. The fight was short-lived due to how close to the bank the lure already was, but I was stoked to pull out a reddie.

At 21cm, it certainly isn't the most impressive redfin, but I've been catching them at the 12cm mark lately (in a different spot) so a model measuring 20+ was exciting for me. Nothing else of note occurred after that other than the local hoon doing burnouts on his dirt bike across the road in front of his mates.

Brownie

Re: Cheeky Suburban Reddie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:51 pm

All good, its a fish, better than a big fat zero.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Nice report and pics :)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Great effort and I must say very selfish of your girlfriend to interfere with fishing :rofl:

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 am

I used to feel self-conscious about fishing urban environments, don't anymore though...

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Before I moved over here I used to fish the canals in London for pike and perch/reddies, I used to look out for the many trolleys in there as there usually was something in or nearby the feature that I could tempt with a lure! Unfortunately it turned out one time there was some poor bugger who apparently pissed off the wrong people tied to one at the bottom of the canal which ruined my day a bit(!)

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 pm

walking darebin creek the other day near plenty rd kingsbury, saw two dumped delivery scooters in there. All around them was a huge school of carp. Fish love human garbage.

Was that the lake in Mill park or the one up at south morang?

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:36 pm

I reckon the artificial reef provides a nice bit of structure for the fish.

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 pm

laneends wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 pm
walking darebin creek the other day near plenty rd kingsbury, saw two dumped delivery scooters in there. All around them was a huge school of carp. Fish love human garbage.

Was that the lake in Mill park or the one up at south morang?
Neither of them, but I was thinking of hitting up Mill Park Lakes. I've gotten a real taste for reddies this summer.

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 am
I used to feel self-conscious about fishing urban environments, don't anymore though...
It evaporates very quickly once you land a fish :thumbsup:

Return to “Other Species”