Lure scents

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
20-20

Lure scents

Post by 20-20 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Hey lads, prepping for another trip and just stumbled across lure scents. Anyone use em for trout? or are they a waste of money?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Lure scents

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Never used it for trouts but worth a try, those scents aren't that expensive anyway and you only need a bit on.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:06 pm

With the smaller soft plastics produced by Strike Tiger I always add their scents. Scents can provide several benefits such as masking undesirable odors such as sunscreen or cigarette tar, can provide a scent trail, induce a bite and some fluoresce in uv light making the lure more visible/attractive to fish.

With larger lures worked faster they are probably of muck less benefit. I have sprayed the inside of my lure boxes with a scent so at least any human or artificial smells are masked. I also rub some on my surface lures now and then.

There are several recipes on the net for making scents. You need a base of some sort like vaseline, copha or an oil and the material to create the odor. There are a lot of proprietary recipes out there containing 'secret amino acids' or peptides. While I have used S Factor on hardbody lures I have made my own. One of the simplest and best bite stimulators is naturally fermented fish sauce. It contains a lot of salt and broken down proteins which the evidence suggests stimulate fish. The Strike Tiger scent smells like it has garlic in it.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:48 pm

What scents do you guys like the best? I've used pro-cure, megastrike and berkley gulp and for me personally pro cure blows both of them out of the water (pun intended), but i hear people raving about sax scent and squidgies as well. Also what flavours? Squid does pretty well for me

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm

use scents all the time i,m mainly a lure fisho tryed dizzy scents no luck at all 4 different types .Sfactor damm works would be the go to pick sax scents work well wasabi and crab is only the one,s i tryed procure as well is good for some bloody reason garlic plus work,s well freshwater and saltwater this stuff has a very strong smell the procure sardine and pilchard work,s okay

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm

For those that do use scents, how often do you apply it to the lure (assuming you keep the same lure on for a while)?
Cheers
Jim
Last edited by April Fool on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:20 pm

April Fool wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm
For those that do use scents, how often do you apply it too the lure (assuming you keep the same lure on for a while)?
Cheers
Jim
Pro-cure advertises it lasts up to 45 minutes but I usually go with 15-20 minutes. Scents also seem to work well on bait too.

Return to “Other Species”