Yarra season close

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Yarra season close

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am

Having barely fished for trout this season (i think only 3 trips targeting them), season close pending, a spare day on the long weekend, good weather, a preceeding week with no rain, etc - decided to head out and give them a shot on the upper yarra - which i havent fished all season.

Without said prior rain, conditions were as expected - generally clear and managable flow. Picked a stretch to try, decided to start off with a hot pink spinner and put the 1st cast in.

It was the 2nd cast i had a thick brown, not measured but in the mid 30 range by eye that would have been perfect for the pan, but went back after a quick'n'crap photo in the landing net. Casting the same pool, got a few hita but no hook-ups. Moving onto the next pool, was the same and fiah #2 was landed, not measured but probably high-teens.

Thought it was going to a hot day after the action in the first two pools and a number of similar looking pools ahead - but the next few brought nothing, which prompted the change up of lure cycle which felt neverending and non-rewarding with no more trout or indications of interest. So i was doing something wrong no doubt

Good day regardless and glad not to end on a donut.

Cheers,Chris
rps20190612_075424.jpg
Trout 1
rps20190612_075537.jpg
Trout 1 pool - casting at upper left of centre
rps20190612_075611.jpg
Trout 2
rps20190612_075654.jpg
Trout 2 pool - casting upper-right of centre

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Re: Yarra season close

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 am

Sounds like you had fun :thumbsup:
Wetsuit and wader? Or just wetsuit?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am
Having barely fished for trout this season (i think only 3 trips targeting them), season close pending, a spare day on the long weekend, good weather, a preceeding week with no rain, etc - decided to head out and give them a shot on the upper yarra - which i havent fished all season.

Without said prior rain, conditions were as expected - generally clear and managable flow. Picked a stretch to try, decided to start off with a hot pink spinner and put the 1st cast in.

It was the 2nd cast i had a thick brown, not measured but in the mid 30 range by eye that would have been perfect for the pan, but went back after a quick'n'crap photo in the landing net. Casting the same pool, got a few hita but no hook-ups. Moving onto the next pool, was the same and fiah #2 was landed, not measured but probably high-teens.

Thought it was going to a hot day after the action in the first two pools and a number of similar looking pools ahead - but the next few brought nothing, which prompted the change up of lure cycle which felt neverending and non-rewarding with no more trout or indications of interest. So i was doing something wrong no doubt

Good day regardless and glad not to end on a donut.

Cheers,Chris
Hey happy what line is on your spin caster ? I just got my Daiwa 120 spincast / silvercast ( not the underspin model )
It came with line already on it out the box. I have no idea what breaking strain it is so I intend on changing it.
I read somewhere it is preloaded with 12lb but I really don't know. seems to heavy to me if it is ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 am

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am

I was doing something wrong no doubt

Good day regardless

Cheers,Chris
Chris, there is no doubt, you did everything right :a_goodjob:

You:
* Didn't let the Couch Magnets win.
* Lawn can be mowed another day.
* Spent the day at an awesome location, away from the hoards.
* Tricked two Locals into taking your spinner.

So all in all it was a good day :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bug

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 am
Sounds like you had fun :thumbsup:
Wetsuit and wader? Or just wetsuit?
Wader and wetsuit - i took a spill and volume of water in the waders, so the wetsuit certainly helped haha

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm

hornet wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am

Hey happy what line is on your spin caster ? I just got my Daiwa 120 spincast / silvercast ( not the underspin model )
It came with line already on it out the box. I have no idea what breaking strain it is so I intend on changing it.
I read somewhere it is preloaded with 12lb but I really don't know. seems to heavy to me if it is ?
Hey mate, on that one i have 8lb berkley vanish im pretty sure.

The daiwa models come in 3 sizes last time i was in the market (2+years ago at least). Dont know what size you have but Generally ill match line weight to the spool as its more about capacity match then strength for me.

Smallest - 4-6lb
Medium - 6-8lb
Largest - 8-10lb

Depending what you will use it for (assuming freshwater and trout, bass, ep, macca, redfin type fish) you can probably get away with what's already on there and reassess when it's time to replenish. Hope that helps a little

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm
hornet wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am

Hey mate, on that one i have 8lb berkley vanish im pretty sure.

The daiwa models come in 3 sizes last time i was in the market (2+years ago at least). Dont know what size you have but Generally ill match line weight to the spool as its more about capacity match then strength for me.

Smallest - 4-6lb
Medium - 6-8lb
Largest - 8-10lb

Depending what you will use it for (assuming freshwater and trout, bass, ep, macca, redfin type fish) you can probably get away with what's already on there and reassess when it's time to replenish. Hope that helps a little
I have the 120A size.. I feel if the factory loaded line is 12lb its too heavy for lightish ? lures, celtas / wigstans ect.

Model SC120 4.3:1

(Lb. Test / Yards) MONO: 12/100 / 5.4kg ?

Married to rod shimano Catana BC110 CTA510BCL 5'10'' 3-6kg

https://daiwafishing.com.au/collections ... lvercast-a
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm

It's probably more your rod rating and action that's gonna impact casting light lures (would be regardless of spincast or not of course) - if the lure is in the range for the rod you're gonna be fine with casting distance on the factory line and not much compromise regarding the line weight on the spincast.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm

That rod its paired with is berkley slingshot travel 1-3kg - suited for light lures - was casting that celta type lure 30m+ or so (caveat - im bad judging cast distances), the spincast is just a balance of:

1. Strong enough line for the type of fishing - yes can get away with anything between 4-10lb for trout.
2. What capacity of line can i get on it as the spool is significantly smaller. I want at least 100m.

If the bigger model (like yours) - can go heavier line and have enough length, if smaller, go lighter as cant fit on as much
Last edited by happyfriggincamper on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm

A couple of beauties there mate!
Nice work. Great pics :)
Well done :thumbsup:

Return to “Other Species”