Tips for Moorabool / Bostock Reservoirs

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Tips for Moorabool / Bostock Reservoirs

Post by Aimless » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Hey all,

Gonna head out North West of Melbourne for a hike this weekend, and hope to spend a bit of time fishing in either Moorabool or Bostock Reservoirs (or both) as recommended here.

Any tips for Reservoir fishing? I haven't done much of it before, usually saltwater. I just read you can't use waders there which makes me worry it'll be a bit of a waste sitting on the edge of these, although they both seem to be above 50% full at the moment.

Lately I've mostly been enjoying soft plastics, I just pack a couple of 6 foot telescopic travel rods with light tackle as they're easy and fun. I can rig up some bait if that's worth a try though.

There's a chance I might end up at Pykes since it's a fair spot closer to town and I'm a pretty lazy guy, but I hear it's mostly carp there.

Really keen to grab a trout!

Cheers!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Tips for Moorabool / Bostock Reservoirs

Post by Sebb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi and welcome,

I've fished those reservoirs in the past in winter. Like anywhere else, low light condition is the best. So if it's gonna be a sunny day, fish really early morning or late afternoon. They can be right on the edge, so dont stand too close. They'll be in the deeper water during the day.

Use minnow lures or plastic with slow steady retrieve. Use tassie devil, rooster tail or spoon, especially during the brighter time of the day as they cast a mile thus cover more area.

They usually eat snail/worm this time of year too, good old scrub worm is a good bait. Cast close during low light and cast further during the day.

They can bite anytime on an overcast day.

Good luck!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't know about Moorabol, but Bostock has been steadily rising over the last few weeks, so fishing over the newly flooded swallows might me worth a go, but as Seb85 says, early or late.

Edit: The Kyneton lake are not all that far out of town (no further the Moorabool anyway) and you probably have a better chance of getting a trout as well. The are places in the Upper Coliban where you can just about drive down to the water's edge; you cannot get lazier than that!

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

Hey all, thanks for the advice, very helpful although I walked away empty handed again!

Was planning to arrive around lunchtime but decided to rejig the journey and stop at Lerderderg for a quick hike. That meant arriving at Moorabool about an hour before sunset. Parked at the first gate on Spargo's road and walked through the plantation - lovely spot!

First time fishing on a big reservoir like that and I hadn't taken into account wind - naive fisherman thinking inland was easier than surf! Anyway, on that side of the reservoir it was right in our face so no casts would even hit the water.

We walked about a quater way around to a protected spot, there was another couple fishing corn there with no luck. And I saw a couple of what looked like fly fisherman packing up.

Four of us with rods this time, two squidgies, one powerbait and one with a good ole worm on the end. Not even a bite, didn't see any fish rise either. Caught plenty of weeds!

Anyway, lovely sunset, got a bit muddy, packed it in when it was getting dark. I think I will try Bostock and some of the other ones listed above another day!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 am

Still sounds like a bit of fun mate.
Better luck next time!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Ahh unlucky.
Try early morning instead, I feel like early morning is better for trout in winter.
Evening is good for hot weather dry fly.
And yeah, try to pick a calm day.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Other Species”