Scotty Jordan incubator loading.

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Scotty Jordan incubator loading.

Post by April Fool » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi all
Last week one of my mates talked me into going to Snobs Creek hatchery for the day and helping out with the loading/placing whatever, of trout eggs into the Scotty Jordan incubators. I first become aware of these when I attended my first 'Talk Wild Trout' conference. Basically, the fertilised trout eggs are placed into the incubators (each egg in its own individual compartment) and then the incubators are placed into selected streams where the eggs hatch and the little fishies swim off happily (or so it is hoped).

http://scotty.com/product/jordan-scotty ... incubator/

The idea is to stock trout into streams...but fisheries have found that hatchery bred fish are not surviving once they hit the wild rivers. The idea is these incubators release fish that will have no idea that they are hatchery bred dumbar5e pets and therefore may adapt to the wild a lot better!

Eggs are placed in individual compartments in trays and then the trays are bolted together.
incubator 40.jpg
Once each individual incubator is loaded, it is then placed into a holding tank until its 'release'.
holding tank 40.jpg
Basically, the incubators are anchored into the selected rivers (perhaps only 2 rivers this year) and nature does its thing! But I do remember the previous years results being discussed at last years trout conference. Incubators were retrieved and it appeared as though a very good percentage of the eggs were gone...therefore they hatched successfully. In previous years some incubators may have been lost in floods. But last year fisheries electro - fished the areas looking for juvenile fish that may have come from the incubators in the previous season. Bad news for the trout fishos is I don't think too may juvenile fish were found putting some doubt on the program. Perhaps for that reason, the number of incubators done this year were less than last year.
cheers
Team Bender
Trout nurturer!

denis barden

Re: Scotty Jordan incubator loading.

Post by denis barden » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 am

Interesting read
Thanks for sharing

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:44 am

Hope it works

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 am

Yea that is interesting. First time hearing about this method. Hope it’s successful.

Return to “Other Species”