Trout Opening on the Goulburn river

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Trout Opening on the Goulburn river

Post by mazman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:02 am

e.welch wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:50 pm
ok. at least you made shaw the other stonker made it back to breed.
I'm far from an expert but what I've been told is that the big ex broodstock fish don't actually add to much when it comes to spawn time. It makes sense because these are the fish that the hatchery is wanting to dump so I'd imagine they're past their used by date but not 100% sure as there are other reasons they would want to unload the bigger fish.
Blue wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 pm
Great to catch a fish of this size but you wouldn,t have lost anything by not eating it.
Hatchery fish live on pellets, the flesh is creamy instead of the bright orange or red of wild fish, and they don,t taste great.
Always good to get something that big and give someone else the same thrill but you wouldn,t have enjoyed eating it.
Blue.
A few of my mates have had some and all said that they were pleasantly surprised by the taste. Think it's a case of don't knock it until you try it.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:32 pm

I have eaten broodstock trout Maz and believe me there is a big difference from Jindabyne,Eucumbene and Tassie trout in colour and taste. Of course many trout are bred for commercial sale and they are fine apparently.
I imagine that they are harvested at the right age and are reasonably young as distinct from the fat old lunkers that have never tasted natural food.
Like everything it,s a matter of preference I suppose.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Great video mate

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Hey Mazman, great vid, thanks for sharing. I have been keen to catch a trout (wild or released) in Vic since I moved here four years ago but no luck so far, although I've had a few tries in Eildon and up the Goulburn river.

Any tips on where along the river to give a try? On your video they look like some great spots with good access and not too busy - keen to make a weekend of it sometime!

Return to “Other Species”