What do you do with small reddies?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
WyldFisher

Re: What do you do with small reddies?

Post by WyldFisher » Wed May 15, 2013 8:08 pm

I chuck them on the bank, just like carp.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

I find it odd that they are classed as a nuisance but we are not told not to put them back. I just read the latest regs and in NSW they are classed as noxious but they only say like here in Vic that anglers are encouraged not to return them to the water instead of saying not to at all! When I was a kid they were almost looked upon like carp and everyone I knew treated them that way and left them on the bank to rot. Still, they are a top eating freshie regardless.

benjic1000

Post by benjic1000 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:07 pm

They don't seem to be a problem anymore in a lot of places.
Even hard to find one!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 pm

if I could catch small reddies I'd join them all together and enter Jim's comp :( :set1_fishing: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

rainbash

Post by rainbash » Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

last week i got a 32 cm reddie in lake hume, we also got about 12 smaller ones in the same spot, in about 3 hours of fishing. we've been going every wed or so to hume. maybe tomorrow depending on the weather. when i get my own boat ill probably go out fishing a bit more i reckon got a couple of mates that would love to go out a bit more often :)

most of the reddies we catch dont make it anyway cause they usually swallow the hook and in the process of retrieval there guts comes out too. fees the local bird life. (namly rats with wings) and the occasional eagle :)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 pm

32cm is good for a reddie. Went out this morning for a few hours. Cold as and thick fog. Got there just on first light. Caught 7 reddies. 3 were throw backs and 4 were just on eating size. They were biting really good till 1 hour after sunup then shut down. Not a trout in sight where I was. Tried yums, squidgies, and gulp minnow grubs. They were only taking the gulps. Was fun to finally catch some, even if they weren't biggies. The 4 I kept all had eggs but they were not fully developed. Same time last year they were fully developed. Late spawn this year perhaps?

rainbash

Post by rainbash » Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm

yea some guy tried to say that 32cm was really small...biggest ive gotten and least im giving it a go :)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed May 22, 2013 5:16 pm

It was probably because it was bigger than his own personal best :lol:

Return to “Other Species”