lures for trout

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: lures for trout

Post by barra mick » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:43 pm

4x4fisho wrote:Are you guys tying straight onto the spinner or using a snap swivel type of clip, just thinking I cbf re tying lures all the time lol
I dont use swivel clips....line straight onto lure...much more natural

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

brybry

Post by brybry » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:28 am

I use the smallest black clip swivel i can find. Line twist is a b@#ch when using spinners. Gives that little bit of extra casting weight, especially when using the smallest celtas/mepps.

Can't say if it's affects the fishing, but I've usually done pretty well.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:11 am

Well i use an anti-kink with spin fishing plus i have 00 black snap swivels attached and haven't had any problems in catching trout over the years of trout fishing rivers.. it's probably because I like to have a quick change of lure too, saves time especially if you have to change lures and spinners on a regular basis because the trout are fussy.. (I purchased the 00 after this photo)

cheers
Adrian
Anti-kink (keel) set up. (Medium).JPG
Anti-kink (keel) set up that i use to stop line twist with blade spinner..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 am

I use the same setup Adrian when using spinners like celtas or dicksons they prevent any any twist in the line :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

brybry

Post by brybry » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:17 pm

I've got a few keels in the bottom of a tackle bag somewhere but never given them a serious go. Still get plenty of twist with just a single swivel so I might just dig them out and tie one on.

Meppstas, how long a trace do you allow? Does it affect you casting accuracy?

Heading to Eildon this weekend so keen to try them out.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:45 pm

brybry wrote:I've got a few keels in the bottom of a tackle bag somewhere but never given them a serious go. Still get plenty of twist with just a single swivel so I might just dig them out and tie one on.

Meppstas, how long a trace do you allow? Does it affect you casting accuracy?

Heading to Eildon this weekend so keen to try them out.
trace is no longer than 450mms brybry, I use the smallest keel available here in Tassie which is just on 22mm long.. No i don't have any problems with accuracy when casting.. Still I've used hem for so long now, that's probably why. I can still lob a 1.5 gram spinner in between a 2 foot gap from 40/50 ft away when I'm in a river. It's just a matter of getting used to casting with them, don't go too big with the Keel though, the lighter & smaller the better.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

PDXSerric

Post by PDXSerric » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:46 pm

I know I am coming into this conversation (11 pages and a month) late, but I have found three lure types that always seem to get some sort of action from trout in deeper water (lakes, reservoirs, etc. I have no luck river fishing), and those are: Tassie Devils, about a 13.5g. Anyhting that has a splash of gold and black dots or looks like a fish is decent. TT Blades. Surprisingly, got a 2+ kg Brown on a purple blade of all colours.

Green plastic shads with a 1/8 jig hook. An erratic 'lift and drop' or 'stop and go' retrieve at a moderate speed.

Hope this helps. Tight lines!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:25 pm

My go to plastic if anyone is wondering and where to get them from.

usually get them from Kmart but there are heaps of places online that sell them as well.

I use them with a 1/8th through to 1/16th jig head depending on water depth and or flow.

Cheers, Anth
Attachments
img_0.jpg
img_0.jpg (145.83 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:52 am

Same Anth, they are dynamite on the Goulburn.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:05 am

brybry wrote:Same Anth, they are dynamite on the Goulburn.
They are aren't they. When other lures aren't getting a touch the t tails will get fish all day.

I learnt a little trick for them recently. If you get a packet and a few of the tails are bent or aren't straight and don't swim properly what you do is boil up some water, let it cool for a minute then dunk the plastics in the hot water. It straightens any kinks out of most plastics. Don't leave then in too long though because if the water is too hot they can melt.

Return to “Other Species”